Score

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1hand

Reaction score
Hello All;

Today was my last day at work til Apr. so we put our tools away and decided to clean up the parts attic to finish out the day. Which this room has been a collection for construction equipment and rock crusher parts since the company's start 5 generations ago. Time to clean house! So with a 6 cubic yard bucket loader we started hauling load after load to the scrap bin. Gears, bearings, hoses, belts, ect. If we didn't know what it was for, out it went. To give ya some idea of how old this stuff was we found a American flag with 48 stars!!! We kept that..

Anyway I come across these 4 bronze disks. Each one is 18" around and 1" thick. SCORE!! I have know idea what I'd do with them but they made a left turn before they got to the scrap bin. Permission from above of course. They where from and old cone crusher. What a great last day of the season day!

Matt

I hope for your sake that its cast bronze! I got a hold of some real hard bronze bars that are are real pain to machine. Their saw cut on all sides, and an attempt at cleaning one up told the story. Sorry I don't mean to rain on you parade. Worst case scenario: Its worth good money at a scrap yard, so not all is lost.

Do I hear the sound of a back plate being machined in the background! ;D

-MB

MB;

The one disk was buggered up and looks to be crumbly. Not really sure how to cut it into manageable size pieces. Torch, plasma, sawzall?

As for the back plate, got the boss done. Turning the outer now. Took a bit to much on the last boss pass. Move the decimal point one to the right of what yours turn out to be proably. Should be all right I hope, being I haven't landed any NASA work yet....lol That cast is sure a mess. Using the Kool Mist sure helped. Taking 6" down to 5" .010 at a time is sure taking awhile though.

Matt

Matt
I know that feeling when you spot one of those finds....LOL I'd take my time and saw the things into usable sizes. Less waste, less chance of change in material characteristics. If it's too hard you might try annealing a piece to see if it gets softer.

Steve

Latest posts

Back