Schedule 80 Steel Pipe

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deadin

Reaction score
I was planning on using a piece of Sched.80 pipe to make a cylinder sleeve for an IC engine
The problem is I can't seem to get a decent finish on it in the lathe. I've tried carbide and HSS bits, varied the speed, feed and tool height and just can't get a smooth finish. It comes out with bands of clean cuts and then a band of rough cut.
Is it me or the pipe??? I don't want to start boring the inside diameter until I can get something that resembles a smooth enough surface for honing and lapping.

Dean

Pipe is crap material and is usually hard to get a good finish on, not impossible but hard, it tends to dig in a lot leaving an uneven finish. You can try different speeds and feeds it may help.

Some pipe just doesn't turn all that nice. If you want to use something like pipe, get some
DOM tubing. You can get a decent finish on that. Even better to use a more common material
for cylinder sleeves, like CI.

A word of warning---I am told that 12L14 if very prone to rust. Internal combustion engines create a lot of water as a byproduct of the combustion process. Yes, pipe is crap quality steel, very difficult to get a good finish on.

I've gotten decent finishes on Schedule 40 steel pipe, but it wasn't easy. The photo is of one of the first roughing cuts on a 6.60" diameter locomotive smokebox and I don't know what the material was, whether water pipe, mechanical tubing, or structural tubing. The alloys and therefore the finishing characteristics will be different. Several test cuts were made until I got a tool/speed/feed combination which would make a continuous cut. IIRC the finishing tool tip was first a good HSS ground to a very small round-nosed "spoon" shape with a ton of back rake and honed to within an inch of it's life. The turning and feed rpm's were quite slow and I eventually found that the cut went best with a smear of my tapping fluid which is Tap-Magic. I don't recall the depth of cut but my guess would be maybe .005". It took three passes to get one without a score and in the end I got the finish I was hoping for.

As you can see the tube is larger than the chuck so I pushed it back over the chuck jaws a bit but the setup still essentially created a "bell" which did ring, that is, a harmonic appeared which caused faint rippling in the finish, a form of chatter. Stuffing a wadded up towel in the tube on the final cuts dampened things sufficiently to remove the harmonics and eliminate the ripple.

SMOKER1.jpg

Brian Rupnow said:
A word of warning---I am told that 12L14 if very prone to rust. Internal combustion engines create a lot of water as a byproduct of the combustion process.

I have first hand experience with 12L14 as a cylinder for an IC engine. Rust is no more a problem with it than with any steel. The cylinder and head I made from it
nearly 15 years ago are still on the running engine. No rust. It may simply depend on you're ability to put on a decent finish.

Back