Sand Mold Casting Problems

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello guys,
I vanished off the radar for a while, for some reason known only to its self i could not get into the site, however my computer geeky son in law found what I was doing wrong , Age & computers do not seem to harmonise (Or is it my advanced brain?) however back to casting problems, When in times not too far distant back when both Europe and the North American continent were much more industrialised foundry folks had recourse to some very fine products from sand quarries , Every foundry had its own sand blends to suit what they were manufacturing, What possibly suited the guys up the road were a little different from the products used by the foundry down the road, This was no doubt due to different sizes of castings, different casting temperatures and the interaction of different metal temperatures, and metal composition to the mould material, Added to this mix was methods of moulding in each shop, In some plants it would be machine moulding in other plants hand moulding.
however if one looked at the type of sand grains used, some sand grains would have differences, There would be round grains , angular grains , & sub angular grains, And compound grains, I.E. different shapped grains added through one another , this helped the sand grains to key together There also was natural clay deposits in the sands which went along way towards the sand grains being cohesive one to the other, Also say a steel foundry would use a courser grade of sand to allow permeability (spaces for the hot gases to eascape, A brass or bronze foundry would get away with a finer grade of sand for light work, to give a good casting surface finish, The same was true of light iron foundry practice
Think sewing machine castings, radiators for central hot water heating, and the extremely beautiful American clock cases , All in was'nt mother Nature wonderful?

however back to the average home craftsman using whatever he can lay his hands on Myself included, Kiddies play sand is lovely stuff, I have not the sand microscopes to examine the grains , But I would be ppretty certain that this nice sand would be round grain , thus each grain does not bind to its nature very easily, Taking your moulding practices , Should you only add water alone your mould would fall to pieces, As it has no strength.
Now we add Bentonite, this gives an artificial bonding medium, In other words we have made a synthetic sand, foundry folk have been doing this for many years with great success.

When blending your sand, add your Bentonite and get it well through your sand evenly, And add your water 4% to 6% roughly , you should be able to pick a handfull of sand and lightly squeeze it into a lump without it adhering to your hand Many years back I was on a particular line of work where i had to get the green strength of my sand upped a bit, In other words a bit stronger, The method used was this when making up my water to moisten my sand I made it quite hot, to it I added some Mollasses, Try this idea, But do not go berserk about a tablespoonfull of Mollasses to two pints of water is about right , if you add too much you will end up with a gooey mess or end up with a gassy metal finish to your castings
I ended up with a lovely sand which held its shape It was a nice pliable sand mix , Try a little for your facing sand, to judge if it is correct you will know how it goes through your sieve , . & also how your pattern draws and it should not stick on to your pattern, A good plant is to rub your pattern with flake graphite I used to do that all the time

many years ago I had to

Oilmac
WOW what happened.
Nelson
Hi Nelson,
Thanks for reply to my posting, Everything seemed to go wrong for a while I do not seem to pick up windows 10 or find it as user friendly as windows8 however must keep trying, glad you liked my posting Let me know how you make out with your casting results, What are you making?
Cheers.

Dan.

Ive had a short experience with Windows 10 from about the first month of this year till July. To put it bluntly it sucks when it comes to networking. I literally deleted it and installed Linux. With Linux i have a network connection before i can finish typing in my name at log in. On a decent WiFi connection that machines stays connected and gives good performance.

In the end it wasn't just strange networking issues that had me leave Windows behind. I wont take the thread off track to dive into those issues i just wanted to point out that you are not the only one that has become frustrated with Windows 10. Ultimately you will need to replace it if MicroSoft can't stabilize the platform.

Hi Nelson,
Thanks for reply to my posting, Everything seemed to go wrong for a while I do not seem to pick up windows 10 or find it as user friendly as windows8 however must keep trying, glad you liked my posting Let me know how you make out with your casting results, What are you making?
Cheers.

Dan.

The clay use in petrobond is type of
Bentonite
The key to petrobond is mulling
I have try cement mixer then put chuck of steel in mixer.
At auction got 500 lb Muller that worked
Later I built a small 60 lb Muller
Found out it simple build

Dave

Last edited:
Here more data on oil sand

K-Bond Sand Recipe / Ingredients:

• 100 lbs. sand - 100 mesh or finer - US Silica F110
    • 6 lbs. Organo-bentone - Bentone 34 or VG-69
    • 3 lbs. Polybutane (2 US Quarts) Available on this site
    • 0.2 lbs. (3.2oz or 91grams) Propylene Carbonate
Note: Do not substitute Two-Stroke oil for Polybutene.
Some Two-Stroke oil does contain Polybutene, however it is typically in the range of only 5-30%.
The other ingredients in Two-Stroke oil defeat the purpose of K-bond sand.

The photo is for Petrobond mix

Attachments

• Petrobond Mix.jpg
    Petrobond Mix.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 254
The problem is to little or no jolt
Most of my work was with molding machines jolt squeeze type.

The only time I hand ram was on large flask 26" x 26"
I still have my air rammer
Layer your sand use hand to press in the corners
Then fill flask up and ram the sand

Dave

This morning I got set up at work and very carefully prepared my mold for the flywheel making sure to do everything in sequence and being ever so careful not to disturb the mold cavity and keep things as clean as possible. I am quite happy with the results and should be able to progress with this build. I am sure I will never attempt this whole casting thing again with this many parts to do. I am 71 and it has been a great learning experience for me and a couple of my coworkers but also has been an exhausting one for me what with all the sand mixing and failures along the way. I will keep my home made forge since it works so well and maybe melt and cast some small brass parts since that is the reason I built it in the first place until I saw the Atkinson Dif. engine. The pic attached is of the best side but the other only has a few more sand pits in it but it gives it character I think.

You all have a great day,

Jim in Pa

View attachment 95646

Latest posts

Back