SAM's Engine with Reverse

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SAM in LA

Reaction score
Yesterday, I started a new build. An engine with reverse. So far it hasn't gone well.

I thought it was time to invest in a few new tools in an effort to increase the precision of my work.

I picked up a Bestest indicator 15-0-15 0.0005" resolution, a new precision drill chuck and a #3 MT reamer. I reamed the female Morse tapers in the tailstock and the mill quill. I found out that the wobble when I was drilling with the mill was the old drill chuck, not the bearings in the mill. I'm glad I did not buy the bearings. Next I checked the alignment between the head and tailstock with a piece of drill rod between centers and my new indicator. The #4 MT in the headstock was wobbling. I ended up taking a light cleanup cut with my boring tool on the large end of the female taper and that solved that problem. After that, I was indicating in my vice with my new Bestest indicator Well I broke the contact needle and the threaded portion broke off flush with the plastic bearing. I looked and can buy the offending piece for $14 plus $10 postage, sheese.

Got to go, more will be posted later.

SAM
I finished up with one of my Harbor Freight indicators.

How frustrating - I'm sure the build itself will go much better for you.

Sam, I have had the same struggles with different test indicators. All I can do is recommend what I did, get on ebay and buy a Starrett last word indicator. I paid 30 bucks for one and I have not looked back. It has a slip mechanism that allows the needle (tip) to ratchet if you put too much pressure on it. The thing is as tough as a boot even if it is 15 to 20 years old.

Good luck

Latest posts

Back