• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeModelEngineMachinist and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Sakai ML-360 for sale

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NoTimeLikeNow

Reaction score
I have a low-hour Sakai ML-360 lathe I bought new with most of the available tooling in 1999 if memory serves. I moved and built a bigger shop, which led to a larger lathe, and then another one, so I am ready to pass the Sakai on to someone who wants a solid hobby-sized lathe.

The market seems to be very thin on these and similar high-quality machines, so I was wondering if anyone can suggest a fair price range for the lathe, 3-jaw, 4-jaw, quick-change tool post & 2 holders, full set of threading gears, low speed attachment, live center, dead center, drill chuck, collet set & closer, heavy baseplate, and maybe a couple of other goodies. I will also include the Rudy Kouhoupt video on the setup and operation of the ML-360 if I can find it.

Thanks.

My ML 360 is now 10 year old. Would love to buy this Sakai but I live in faraway Singapore.:wall:
Right now building a Nemett-Lynx Engine with this lathe and she stood up and did a good size job.th_wav .

If you want to sell something stating your location and price is a good thing. Posting an entry in the introduction page first would be even better.

One of those was offered at a Precision museum show a few years ago. The guy would not set a price, just wanted an offer- I was to timid to make a really low offer and later found it went for $300. That was a crazy low price, I would have easily paid. They are beautiful machines, but out of production so a bit of an orphan. I think the ebay price was probably reasonable, but I would not pay that much just because I dont really need it.

Thanks much, Swifty, I have had a search that I occasionally hit on eBay here in the US, but the only one I have seen recently went for a best offer from a listing for $2000. It included the milling attachment, and associated tooling, so between that and the ad you supplied, I am thinking to offer mine up for $1750 to anyone on the forum who is interested. If no one snags it, I will put it on eBay, but I would rather sell to a model engine fan.

It has the following tooling:
Part # Name
3573 Base / Oil Pan
3501 Bison brand Three Jaw Universal Chuck
3502 Four Jaw Independent Chuck
3503 Chuck Mounting Adaptor
3505 Dead Center MT#2, 60 deg. Nose
3507 Live Center MT#2
3508 Drill Chuck MT#2
3509 Collet Chuck
35310 Inch Collet Set, 1/8, 3/16, 1/4, 5/16, 3/8, 1/2, and blank (emergency collet)
35311 Automatic Feed/Thread Cutting Attachment - 31 pitches 80 to 10 tpi
35317 Compound Slide
3519 Slow Speed Attachment, 80-170 rpm
3520 Steady Rest, 3 supports
3521 Traveling or Follow Rest, 2 supports
3580 4-way Tool Post - Square
3581 Quick-Change Tool Holder w/ 2 holders (Cartridges)
3585 Detachable Tool Cartridge (extra holder for total of 3)
- Rudy Kouhoupt VHS Introductory & Demonstration Tape

The lathe was made in Japan, not like the later ones outsourced to Korea. It is in great shape, runs on 120 VAC, and quietly makes 0.4 hp (300 W). Its controls feel like a much heavier machine, and is a joy to operate. With its heavy steel base with welded mounting blocks, it sits securely on isolating rubber feet. The manual is included, and is as shockingly useful as described at http://www.lathes.co.uk/toyo/index.html

This is a high quality model-maker's lathe, in a different league entirely from commodity mini-lathes. It is ready to turn out precision work with its 5.9" dia swing x 14" center-center capacity and 3.7" swing over its carriage. Everything is fully functional and in very good cosmetic shape

Purchased from Campbell Tools in Springfield Ohio in May, 1999, drop shipped from Sakai Machine Tools Mfg., Inc. of White Plains, New York.

I live in Houston, Texas, USA and any interested buyer is welcome to IM me to come see it under power.

HSL_6075.jpg

HSL_6084.jpg

HSL_6087.jpg

HSL_6094.jpg

HSL_6086.jpg

HSL_6088.jpg

HSL_6095.jpg

HSL_6098.jpg

HSL_6082.jpg

Looks like a very nice lathe, I know Gus puts out good work on his Sakai ML 360.

Paul.

Thanks .Paul.

If I live in USA. I would have bought this lathe which comes with a treasure trove of accessories. Sakai accessories are very expensive.

I am glad I went one size up and bought the ML 360. The small brother just won't take bigger jobs. Sakai is a very good precision lathe. Good reason why
I can bore to tight fits for bearings,shafts and pulleys. HSS tools best. Forget the carbide inserts. I get very good finish with a diamond honing on HSS cutting tools.

Hi Do you still have your lathe I am in the uk if you still have it I will try to find out carrier cost best regards IAN

Hi Do you still have your lathe I am in the uk if you still have it I will try to find out carrier cost best regards IAN
Ian, I finally sold it on eBay in late 2014, and shipped it overseas to its new home. Deals on good equipment are out there if you can afford to be patient. This lathe and tooling went for roughly 25% of new cost, with practically all of its service life ahead of it.

Latest posts

Back