Said I would never do it.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I joined facebook. My wife got tired of me borrowing her phone to look for stuff on marketplace and made me join if I wanted to get on there. I have no friends so I dont have to listen to my family argue with each other. I did join a couple groups so I can mingle with prople who restore mini bikes and go-karts. Also a couple model engine groups but they are mostly for collectors not builders. It's the beginning of the end!

I have an old 1960s mini bike that I road when I was in grade school & high school. My sons road it too. Now its for sale.

So what I'm reading it's basically all about selling people things. Try to learn people's habits to predict what they need and try to sell them a product. Is that it?
The data is being used for law enforcement and by foreign governments. Even a fish and game agency can de-anonymize everyone's personal triangulation data at a certain time and place as in this case. The woods are littered with cellular trail cams and even a burnpile can be picked up by satellite for anyone to see. Very handy tool by the way if you spend time in the woods during fire season.

Some companies "legally" volunteer the data to alphabet agencies. It's going to either be a recent graduate technocrat from India or Musk who volunteers it. All depends on who owns your data.

Other countries are getting a slice of the pie as well. In ten years, most US soldiers' childhood tiktok data will be on overseas servers. Watching how data is being used in current conflicts is pretty eye opening.

If you're a pilot flying standard category, please don't forget to turn off ADSB before performing aerobatics. :p There's a lot of glitching, but sometimes it's a little obvious and your registration, model type, and LLC will be permanently embedded with the data. It just never ends!

Merry Christmas everyone. I gonna take a break.

Security worries aside.......

I'm a happy FB user, and have been for many years now.

I find it very useful, not only to keep in touch with family and mates, but I'm in quite a few music, machining and model aircraft groups.

Yup, there's lots of rubbish and spurious advertising on there, it's true, but I'm also in fairly immediate contact with like-minded idiots around the globe.

Tim

If you're a pilot flying standard category, please don't forget to turn off ADSB before performing aerobatics. :p There's a lot of glitching, but sometimes it's a little obvious and your registration, model type, and LLC will be permanently embedded with the data. It just never ends!

Merry Christmas everyone. I gonna take a break.
Even If you buy and use a drone all the telemetry is being storewd so the aviation authorities can track what you did and were you flew it.

Big Brother is real and they are watching you very closely.

Stand by for a nock on the front door to all participants to this thread!!😘

Reactions: Zeb
There was a good cartoon that I found and lost a while ago, that showed a herd of sheep talking, and one of the sheep says "I tell ya, those guys are up to something", referring to the pack of wolves standing in the background.
The other sheep say "Poor old crazy Bill; he has been watching too many conspiracy movies again......we all know those guys (the wolves) act in our best interest".

animals-party-sheep-wolves-dinner-having_fun-wpa0668_low-1628096214.jpg

Last edited:
What exactly do "they" do with my information? What does someone have to gain by knowing that I ate at art &jakes sports bar last night?
Steve, we are dinosaurs. We grew up with common sense, the ability to think and to communicate face to face with people. The young come out of the womb with a smart phone in their hands. This is their world. They don't learn how to think or learn common sense. Everything they learn comes off the phone screen. It's easy to BS them with false information. You tell me to my face about what you ate at Art & Jakes Sports Bar (if you want to). I have a quote, "Little amuses the innocent". My relatives know, "Don't get Uncle Dave on Facebook, he'll just show you what he did in the bathroom this morning"!!! AND I WOULD.

Steve, we are dinosaurs. We grew up with common sense, the ability to think and to communicate face to face with people. The young come out of the womb with a smart phone in their hands. This is their world. They don't learn how to think or learn common sense. Everything they learn comes off the phone screen. It's easy to BS them with false information. You tell me to my face about what you ate at Art & Jakes Sports Bar (if you want to). I have a quote, "Little amuses the innocent". My relatives know, "Don't get Uncle Dave on Facebook, he'll just show you what he did in the bathroom this morning"!!! AND I WOULD.
Yess, yess, I took a (censored) in the toilet 5 minutes ago. It was warm and juicy and dark brown. There's more too, but I'm afraid you might get too excited reading about such fun activities.

I know on the face of it, it seems like no big deal.
Someone joined facebook.....so what ?
What is the big deal?

There are some rather concerning trends these days though, and much of the concern revolves around the concentration of power in the hands of a few big tech companies, and what that will mean for future generations in this country.

I wish it were just a simple thing of no consequence.
I guess I know too much.

Somehow I feel like Big Tech will "set people free", but I don't think it is the "freedom" most folks have in mind.

It is never a good thing when all power gets concentrated into the hands of a few folks.
It does not end well for anyone, but least of all it does not end well for the sheep.
Absolute power always corrupts absolutely.

Edit:
Its just a model engine forum, so I will shut up now and get back to model building.

What model did you build today?
Post it here so us non-FB folks can see it.

Last edited:
A couple of years ago I was in the market for a Cub Cadet, the International Harvester version - not the cheap imitation. I found one for a reasonable price less than an hour away from me on FB Marketplace. Up to this time I had avoided FB like the plague. So I joined up in order to be able to contact the seller to see if I could come take a look at it. Two days later when I tried to log in to FB to see if the seller had responded, I was unable to log in and informed that I was banned for "improper use of FB Marketplace."

That was my first and last experience with FB!

Don

With me - especially with the internet, Google, Edge, FB, youtube.... All things have two sides : Good and Bad.
Nothing is perfect !
Use it and find the best way to approach it - there are hundreds of tutorials on the necessary settings with FB
With FB , I have a few friends who have helped me a lot in projects about engines , especially diesel engines . And when I post some pictures on my personal page or in a group sometimes there are some pretty good comments

Keep calm Richard,
Einstein explained relativity.... "If you are on the same hill-top at the same time moving at the same speed you all look the same". It is only when you are on the subway platform and everyone is moving fast past you in the opposite direction you realise you are "relatively" the odd one. Maybe they are all the wierdos? - And we are the ones who are "sane" (which is a relative term based on abstract ideas anyway!).

Zeb: re: your new book. Does it explain calculations for determining wall thicknesses of flue tubes, or other tubes with the copper "in compression"? - I think this is probably a "bible" for making boilers (Coppersmithing), but it may omit that particular part of boiler design (as do most books) concerning the design of "tubes in compression", particularly if copper.
I have books and texts by:
K.N. Harris, Alec Weiss, Kozo Hiraoka, Martin Evans, Tubal Cain, Prof. Andrew Jamieson (who quotes work & formula derived by Sir William Fairburn); John Goodman, et al.
Yet I have never seen anyone consider that Copper tubes in compression suffer from the compressive strength being as low as 45MPa but only consideration of the Ultimate Tensile Strength, as 210 MPa. (30500 psi.). I.E. the tubes in Compression, if designed using hoop stress calculations using the Tensile strength of annealed copper, will be incorrect for the required safety factors for the boiler. I am still seeking a text that even discusses the matter. I can only assume that "in service" flue tubes etc. at "~20% of their "correct" design strength" are adequate for the 1.5 x NWP Hydraulic test. And copper boilers quickly become "stronger" than their annealed state when heated and stressed, then cooled, repeatedly.
Enjoy your boilermaking - and use a "proven and certified" design, and known (certified?) standard of materials.
K2

Latest posts

Back