Safety Winners

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What a wonderful collection of Richard Craniums. :eek:

Best Regards
Bob

I think that I have seen a few of those knuckleheads before at a couple of places that I was working at the time. The Jerry rigged ladder rings a bell, the idiot would up with a broken leg and pelvis and a some internal injuries. What a maroo, although I was not happy about anyone getting injured, I experienced some rather perverse enjoyment out of it because he was warned by me and several others not to attempt what he was doing. After nine months of being off, when he finally did return, I told him to stay the hell away from me as he was dangerous. (Three months after that the place fired him after yet another 'accident'.

Be safe and live to tell about it.

BC1
Jim

I was in Hong Kong one day and saw a guy welding a railing while he was standing knee deep in the harbor. Also he didn't have a mask on. Another time while in Singapore I observed a guy operating a pavement breaker while wearing flip flops. Of course back in 1960 while at summer camp with the Army Reserves, I operated a jaw crusher while wearing a fatigue cap. We were told that it was too hot to wear a steelpot. It was really interesting when a cobble that was just the right size went twenty feet into the air like a squeezed grape pit instead of breaking.

Jack

Back when I worked in a factory, we had several sets of rolling stairs. These were 15' tall metal steps that could be rolled to where ever needed and then the wheels locked in place. The maintence man needed to work on a wall mounted transformer and just couldn't wait for a forklift driver to come over with the man lift basket. So the maint. man did the only smart thing....

He had the 15' rolling stairs against the wall and then had a 10' extension ladder placed on the top step. The top of the ladder was leaning against the wall at a rather shallow angle while the maint. man was on the ladder's second most top rung. No problem......right?

Except that a OSHA rep was inspecting the factory that afternoon and when the rep turned the corner and saw the maint man's rig, yeahhhhhhh you get the idea. OSHA wanted the guy fired, but he had worked there since he was 19 and had only a few months left till retirement. So the company took the guy's ladder prividledges away until he retired. The most amazing part was the guy still could not understand what he did wrong... ??? ::)

Back