Rust vs Tea, Round 2

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kept raiding the neighbourhood washing lines but
couldn't work out how to mount the
bras in a 3 jaw chuck :-[

So, Kludge---What was your impression of how effective the mollases was at removing rust. I have never actually tried it, and I couldn't really tell from the pictures you posted.---Brian

baldrocker said:
A saturation solution of salt and vinegar, slow but shows results.

Salt and vinegar ... a fried potato's best friends. (YEah, a few of us Yanks are civilized enough to know and enjoy that combination! :))

Hmmm ... again, elevated temperatures might help although it could get into a supersaturated state (kind of like how string candy's made) if one's not careful. On the other talon, there's nothing wrong with slow when dealing with some of the more delicate parts.

Thanks for the suggestion!

BEst regards,

Kludge

Brian Rupnow said:
So, Kludge---What was your impression of how effective the mollases was at removing rust.

The most critical item in the molasses was the 8mm cross slide. It had surface rust, oily greasy ick and screws that wouldn't unscrew but rather twisted my hex drivers something 'orrible. THe surface rust was all but gone (another day might have done it.) and the ick was all gone but the screws ... well, I think they're in for good. They still twist my hex drivers something 'orrible.

After that was the jeweler saw frames. Rust was mostly gone (Maybe something stronger than a 9:1 solution would be good?) and what's left I can take down with wet 'n dry and oil without problems.

The throat plate for the Dremel table saw was an unfair addition. It should have gone with the strongest stuff (Naval Jelly) but wound up in the wrong stack so I left it there as an experiment.

One added comment on the exeriment, something I don't quite understand - The bright shiny (nickel plated) things that were treated with phosphoric acid (Naval Jelly or Coke) were dulled considerably by the treatment, something I wasn't quite expecting. I think what happened is that the acid etched the nickel as well as lifted the rust so I have to go back and do a little work to regain the lovely chrome-like shine that was there originally. Oh, well ... that's why I have buffs, right? :)

BEst regards,

Kludge ... who finally got the dentist drill heads working again!

Latest posts

Back