Rust vs Tea, Round 2

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

Kludge

The rust experiment is coming long but it got upset by some cops stopping by to ask about a neighbor I didn’t know. Apparently, a couple moved in & then split a couple of months later just ahead of bounty hunters to avoid a heavy-duty warrant. HPD came around to find anything they could and it took about 1/2 hour to get them to understand that, yes, I’m on the same floor but, no, I never met them, heard anything about them or knew anything about them. As a result, Naval Jelly & Coke treatments (Naval Jelly: only the drill press base) that should have only lasted 10 minutes wound up over half an hour which didn’t do them any good. The rest of the Naval Jelly items were timed significantly better. The molasses “dip” lasted four days and included a few things I have no clue what are. I also tried some non-steel items just for fun.

It took a while to find something I didn’t mind being blackened by the tannin in Extend and tea (It converts red rust to black rust which is actually a protective layer.) For the former, I found pieces of a small Swiss turns I got for parts to complete my other one and a watch parts tin. For the tea, I picked out some wing nuts, the motor & headstock position lock screws & drawbar for the drill press plus a couple thumb screws. The tea dip lasted a week.

Okay, pictures. The first group is of most of the items to be treated followed by pictures after the first pass.

Okay, here’s the Naval Jelly and Molasses before the first pass:

NavalJellyMolassesBefore.jpg

And the Naval Jelly after pass 1. Note that I added a bezel chuck to the items treated since it was there and it was a skosh rusted.

NavalJellyPass1.jpg

The molasses didn’t cover the entire jeweler’s saw frames but it did cover enough. I put the brass Jacot tool frame in for the fun of it, not knowing quite what it would do. The same is true for some other bits there, some of which are complete mysteries.

MolassesPass1.jpg

I don’t drink Coca-Cola, but their secret formula reportedly has sufficient phosphoric acid to do something worthwhile. The cross slide has been sitting around disassembled for a while and I’d really like to get the screws out if I can. It’s not really necessary but it would be cool.

CokeBefore.jpg

The screws still won’t budge. I think it is written somewhere that they’re gonna stay.

CokePass1.jpg

Okay, Extend and tea. Nothing here is critical, as I mentioned before. Actually, it’s all pretty much non-critical. This is a good thing.

ExtendTeaBefore.jpg

Extend is serious about blackness. Everything that’s black now started off kind of a dirty milk grey then magically transformed to black as it dried. To prove I don’t have a life, I thought the process so cool that I dug up some rusty scrap and applied Extend to that as well just to watch it turn black. Okay, it doesn’t take much to entertain me.

Okay, tea … which is what started this whole thing. It is a limited urban legend. Some rust was blackened after a week but not so much I’d call it a worthwhile way to do things.

ExtendTeaPass1.jpg

Okay, now what. The tea-dipped watchmaker’s drill press parts will get hit with Naval Jelly while the base will get a touch with oil and wet ‘n dry to finish it up. The two Swiss turns will be re-polished, removing any residue from the treatments they went through. Like the drill press base, the saw frames will get abraded into submission and fitted with new blades – one each 2 and a 2/0.

The cross slide, which did degrease and clean up some, will also get the oil & wet ’n dry treatment and be put in service on the 8mm lathe while I repair the Wolf Jahn and fit it with a milling adapter. Later on, who knows; it may become part of a CNC experiment. Or I may just use it when I don’t have to get fancy.

This isn’t cast in stone, by the way. I’m thinking about giving the good Swiss turns and a few other items the “Coke treatment” before anything else but with regular Pepsi this time. (I managed to wind up with this rather than diet Pepsi which I prefer.) I’m just curious what the results will be.

Among my itty bitty parts, I have some watch screws and other tiny parts that have surface rust on them so somewhere down the line, they’ll get de-rusted as well. The results of all this will determine the method or methods I use when that happens. Maybe a month of tea therapy?

All this from a simple question about tea.

Best regards,

Kludge

ooh, I'm loving these kitchen science threads, it's a good job there is some distance between most of us, if we were all in the same zip code we could really do some damage (insert maniacal laugh here)....

You got some good results there Kludge, definitely worth doing.

David

Kludge.
It may be a simple question about tea to you but to
some of us it was an experiment eagerly awaited with bated
breath. Seriously the results of your experiment will rock the
scientific community to its foundations. Really seriously it seems that
there is a lot of truth to the Coke idea, people DRINK that stuff.
I use the washing soda, water and 12volt battery method myself
(google rust removal)but will give coke a try, seems a lot less messy.
Well done and move over MythBusters.
BR

Interesting results! Kludge, many thanks for performing the experiment. I am sure this will help all of us at one point or another!

Thanks for the comments, folks. I do appreciate them.

David, there is a problem with that possibility. We'd spend so much time doing kitchen experiments we'd not get anything else done. While Jamie & Adam have little to fear, I'm sure that we could wind up with our own web tv channel. :D

BR, that's actually a next stage only with baking soda (suggested substitute until I get some washing soda) and lye which is a suggested alternative method. Another test will be using something I found on the web involving highly dilute muriatic acid. This next round should be a lot of fun. :)

WE, thanks. I still have a way to go as I said to Baldrocker but this is a whole bunch of fun. I have a few things to take care of before I go to round three but it will probably be the 6mm lathe since it has a bad case of salt air rash so the methods mentioned above will go there.

In the meantime, I have to clean up the DI, make a belt or two (pants too big, belts too small ... kind of a not good 'tweener situation), get out my cheapie cameras to see what I have to fit to the lathes et al and a few other side projects.

BEst regards,

Kludge

Kludge.
Baking soda wont work, it is sodium BI-carbonate whereas
washing soda is sodium carbonate. I think I got that
the right way round, evidence the fact that baking soda
is an effective antacidwhich is not what you want.
BR

Kludge,
If you can't find washing soda at a local retailer you can bake baking soda in the oven, spread out on a cookie sheet at 350-400 degrees for about a half hour. Baking it releases carbon dioxide. The downside is it can be difficult to dissolve in water. Takes a lot of stirring and some time. The solution also makes an excellent glass cleaner and your car will never look better.

Hi, guys,

BR, one of the sites I went to suggested baking soda as a poor but useable substitute until the real thing came along. Apparently this will go into the "urban legend" side of the upcoming experiments in place of the tea in the first ones. Gotta have some fun, y'know? :)

Thanks for the info, Kevin. I wonder if raising the temperature of the water would help the washing soda disolve better. If not, I've got a blender I'm not using a whole lot. (Did someone say "kitchen experiments"? :D)

Ummm ... errr ... the Jeep will need a lot more than washing soda to look good. A new windscreen frame, coachwork, replacement canvas all around, new hood (bonnet) latches and hardware, interior work ... etc. It's a 1991 YJ Wrangler and, to me, the best "fix" would be to lift the radiator cap and drive a pre-1972 CJ under it.

BEst regards,

Kludge

Kludge
Hot water works, also if you occasionally wipe the crud
off the anode it helps.
Sods law says that the cap was changed in 1980 ;D
BR

PS
With all this talk of "kitchen experiments"
and chemicalsI wonder how many security
databases we have wound up on :big:
BR

I wouldn't worry about the security databases ... much. We're the good guys!

Um, we are, aren't we? ;D

Okay, hot water's good. Crud cleaning's good. I've got some 12L14 laying around not doing a lot right now. And I've got a low current battery charger, a 12v 5 amp power supply and a 12v 7 AH battery. Got it. :)

1971 is the last year short Jeeps (the CJs et al) were built without a roll cage. 1972 saw the end of the "real" Jeeps in many people's eyes when they became more "civilized" and lost the "I'm a truck. Deal with it." attitude.

Best regards,

Kludge

BR, sorry to pop your balloon mate, but if it's electro derusting, all you're after is an electrolyte
IE, something to make the water conductive. Pure water is a pretty good insulator.

I've even used wood ash and water with the aforementioned battery charger.
Wood ash has a pretty high (alkaline) Ph

Was in the scrub, but it got the exhaust manifold off an old diesel :)
The job was accomplished without naughty sailor-type language, we just dug a hole and lined it with black plastic,
went away, had a shandy or two and, lo......
when we awoke the next morning :D

Dhow Nunda wallah said:
BR, sorry to pop your balloon mate, but if it's electro derusting, all you're after is an electrolyte IE, something to make the water conductive. Pure water is a pretty good insulator.

Nah, the hot water in this case was for mixing the washing soda, not the electrolyte itself. Hot vs cold to enhance the ability for the stuff to disolve.

I've even used wood ash and water with the aforementioned battery charger.
Wood ash has a pretty high (alkaline) Ph

A lot of Keawi is used for BBQ fires, although people often use charcoal briquets with it. I need to dig around and see if I can find a fire pit where only wood was used. Thanks for the tip!

The job was accomplished without naughty sailor-type language

It comes from associating with Marines. We sailor types are innocent and pure as the driven coal. ;D

Okay, I'm on a hunt for things with a high Ph to add to the experiment. I still have a number of projects to handle before I get to this but that gives me time to do my "due diligence" thing. :)

BEst regards,

Kludge

Dwoh
The hot water was to make it easier to mix the soda, perhaps I
didnt make that clear. :-[

Kludge,
The washing soda will raise the pH considerably, somewhere around 9 or so. If you are in the grocery store look for Mrs. Wages Pickling Lime, that'll raise it to a solid 12. Let it settle and skim off the clear liquid.

I use both in my saltwater aquarium and have to keep a close eye on pH.

ksouers said:
If you are in the grocery store look for Mrs. Wages Pickling Lime, that'll raise it to a solid 12. Let it settle and skim off the clear liquid.

Hmmm ... I don't remember seeing anything like that but I'll check around. It's sodium hydroxide so I may find it under a different name. Thanks for the pointer!

Best regards,

Kludge

From he depths another one surfaces.
A saturation solution of salt and vinegar, slow but shows results.
BR

... good on yer chips as well

... you want frars with that?

Latest posts

Back