Rust vs tea, Round 1

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i havent read the whole post ,,but if your trying to remove some rust just use good ol coke a cola classic works pretty good

Coke contains a weak phosphoric acid as does most sodas. Tannic acid I have never used but will look at it. I use EvapoRust for all my derusting projects. I restore old woodworking planes and tools. EvapoRust is a nonacid, pH neutral, eco-freindly solution that removes only iron oxide and does not touch anything else. I have even soaked wood handled tools in it and it did not bother the wood or the paint.

I use it on all my tool tops to remove and prevent rust. It works great on cast iron since it goes right down in the pores and cleans them out. Some always stays there and prevents further rust. I also use it to remove rust and corrosion from the steel parts of antique model airplane engines.

I have used it to remove rust from an assembly that defied disassembly. The screws were rusted in their holes. I submerged the thing in EvapoRust and in 24 hours I was able to remove the screws and take it apart.

It can be found in many auto parts stores. I get mine from theruststore.com which shows several examples of how it works. The military uses it to remove the rust from tank chassis that are being refurbished.

I am in no way connected with Evaporust. I just think it is a great product.

dedaddy007 said:
I am in no way connected with Evaporust. I just think it is a great product.
Same here, it's great stuff and no muss or fuss. HF carries it.

Hi Guys
Do You know that this post goes back to 2008
HM

HM...
Just goes to show how deep our memberrs will dig to mine the nuggets this place has produced. Thar's gold in them thar hills.

Speaking of Kludge...I still miss his off the wall antics. Anyone ever hear anything more from or about him? I know he was struggling with some very large demons, back when he decided to wander off.

Steve

Yes Steve I know , he had a way of writing his posts. After his last post he went in to Neverland. Have not heard from him since.
Hilmar

I had emailed with him before he left, so after he disappeared, I used the same email addy to try to get in contact. I never received any response at all.

Kludge had a blog going re a society after the big bang in which the whole bloody thing was driven by steam. I haven't checked it out in a while but you may find him there if it's still active.

Best Regards
Bob