Rupnow i.c. Engine with governor

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gotta say well done Brian. I've been following along as all the pieces were designed and built and wondered when we'd get to see an engine, the clutch, and one of your "work" devices all running together.

If my grandsons saw that live they would be asking me how soon I would be building one of those.

Thanks for the ride.

--ShopShoe

I have had severe lower back pain all week, and have had both a cat scan and an X-ray of my abdomen and lower back. Doctor called me up 2 days ago and sounding fairly ominous, told me there was something unusual on my X-ray, and I better come into his office!!!--Now this is news that you just don't want to hear when you are 67 years old!!! (or at any other age). After 2 days more of pain (compounded with worry), I went to see the Doc yesterday. He had good news/bad news. The good news is, that its just plain old down and dirty arthritis with maybe a pinched nerve. The bad new is---I'M A FREAK!!! Where most people have 5 bones in their lower back, I have SIX!!! Doc told me it was fairly unusual, but he had seen it before. Its not freaky enough that I can run off and join Barnum and Bailey and make some extra money on the weekends. So now I'm off to the physiotherapist for prodding/punching/ultrasound. and maybe acupuncture. Of course, when you think 0f all the truly horrible things it could have been, I guess a go-round with the physiotherapist isn't that bad. I hope she's an eighteen year old blond----.

Brian, I truly hope the physio works and that you have no lasting problem. Bad backs are no fun at all.

Methinks your vision of the physiotherapist may differ when you get there. The last one I had could hold parts to be milled ... with her hands!

Cheers,

Tom

Hope all goes well Brian.

Extra bones in your lower back huh? Just a theory, but does your butt wag a bit when you're happy? Just joking mate, have fun at the physio.

Hope all goes well Brian.

Extra bones in your lower back huh? Just a theory, but does your butt wag a bit when you're happy? Just joking mate, have fun at the physio.

cogsy--------------- dog do have a bone in ther......
take Brian I have pictures coming ;)

Good luck at the Physio Brian and hope it not to painful.

Dave

Reactions: gus
I have a counter on the site where I store my files that counts how many times an article or set of plans have been downloaded. I checked this morning, and the plans for the Rupnow Engine have been downloaded 101 times since I put the links on this forum and a second forum. I wonder how many will actually get built?

At a guess, I'd say loads of them, and for many years to come. It's a great design and from what I've seen, a great runner. Soon I'll know first hand.

Al--I'm looking foreword to it. I can't remember--do you plan on running the governor on it? As I have told others, the carb which I give details for depends on the action of the governor to control the engine speed. If you don't have the governor on it when you start it up, the engine will race out of control and possibly self destruct. I can send you plans for a throttlable carb if you are not building the governors, but its a lot more complex than the carb I posted.---Brian

Thanks for the offer Brian, but I'm already somewhat concerned about building the carb, let alone a more complex one. Seriously though, I will build the governor. There's just something about hitting and missing that I love. I do plan on finishing the engine and running it before I build the governor though. Any tips on keeping it from over revving? I'm thinking I should be able to retard the ignition timing enough to keep it slowed down if necessary.

Cogsy--I don't have any tips, other than if you try to start it, be ready to pull the sparkplug wire off damn quick if it runs away on you. Start with the needle valve unscrewed one full turn. You may be able to set the carb so it runs rich enough to slow it down, or you might be able to mess with the timing to slow it down. When Swifty first started his without the governor it ran away on him and blew up the bearing on the end of the valve lifter mechanism before he could get it shut down..

Cogsy--I don't have any tips, other than if you try to start it, be ready to pull the sparkplug wire off damn quick if it runs away on you. Start with the needle valve unscrewed one full turn. You may be able to set the carb so it runs rich enough to slow it down, or you might be able to mess with the timing to slow it down. When Swifty first started his without the governor it ran away on him and blew up the bearing on the end of the valve lifter mechanism before he could get it shut down..

Hi Cogsy,
No worries. Hopefully will get my H&M started and running by this Friday.Now mopping up odds and ends. Viton Pistons still not arrived.Will put in C.I.Rings today and run in with cordless drill.
My Webster engine has got a habit of quitting every time I try to get smart tuning carb. My carb tuning is still lousy.:hDe:

Would be great to see a mini runaway engine. Worked on medium size engines and did not experience runaway engines. But my Senior Diesel Repairman did witness one. It was horrifying and nothing done could stop engine which over speed and ruptured con-rods blew holes in the crankcase and smoke every way in the plant room.

Gus, I witnessed a runaway engine on a diesel four wheel drive, no one had any idea how to stop it, smoke was billowing out the exhaust as the engine ran as fast as it could. Someone eventually took off their tee shirt and blocked off the air inlet which slowed it enough to stall it. Not a very happy owner.

Paul.

Aussiejim, no doubt that driver was looking for another job straight after that happened. I did manage to break a con rod at the small end in an old diesel patrol that I had, beat the daylights out of the piston and cracked the block.

Paul.

Its cool out in my main garage today, about 16 Celcius---about 62F. I've got a couple of "for pay" engineering jobs on the go right now so I'm working in my office, one wall away from the main garage. I started the "Rupnow Engine" at about 3:30, let it warm up for about 5 minutes, then engaged the clutch and started the ball elevator running. I've been setting in here on the computer working away, but I can hear the engine put--put--whirrrr, put-put--whirrr running out in the garage. I stepped out to have a look at 5:00 and there was a column of steam raising from the water reservoir. It made me laugh, because I can remember back in the 1950's helping my uncle Jimmy saw slabwood on his buzz saw in the wintertime, and seeing the same column of steam raising from the reservoir on his 3 horsepower hit and miss engine.

Put it down to encroaching age, or maybe just plain "worry wartism", but every time that I've been out in the main garage playing with the 'Rupnow Engine" I get upstairs afterwards, and start to wonder--"Did I turn that on/off switch off or not???" After making one too many "just before bed" trips downstairs to check and make sure the ignition switch was off I called up Roy Sholl and ordered his "ignition light". Wow!!! What a bright little sucker---and it comes with leads that plug into the existing wiring between the switch and the CDI module. It was simply a matter of drilling a .190" hole thru the base, and adding a little "seal all" around the light. I'm impressed!!! And that SHOULD help me remember that yes, the switch was really off when I quit playing!!!

Back