Rupnow i.c. Engine with governor

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Damn!!! Right after I posted the drawing of the muffler, I was in my shop machining it, when I took a hugely horrible pain in my lower back and side. I shut the lathe off, staggered upstairs, and spent the rest of the day taking Tylenol and laying on a heating pad. I got through the night, but by 10:00 this morning I caved and got my wife to drive me to emergency at the local hospital. I spent the day in the hospital, being shuffled from one room to the next. At 1:00 they gave me a shot of morphine. At 3:00 they gave me a cat scan. At 4:00 they told me I had passed a kidney stone, gave me a prescription for pain killers, and sent me home.--Not something I would want to repeat!!!

Brian, sorry to hear of your pain. Been there ... done that, and I too would not want to do it again.

Glad to hear you are on the mend.

Cheers,

Tom

Brian---- glad to see your ok. I had that also but it got stuck:wall::wall:
Maybe I didn't have as much pain ,they put me asleep to remove it.

Good news my shop is back to me again, and ill be laying parts soon
take care

Glad to hear that your on the mend Brian, as you have indicated, I believe that the pain is very bad with kidney stones.

Paul.

My Sympathies, Had Kidney Stones while on a business trip to Pakistan. Felt like my Testicles were being crushed in a vice while someone has hitting me in the kidneys with a 4 lb hammer. Went to Local 3rd world A&E and got dosed up with morphine after managing to find a clean Syringe and Needle. Got loaded up on coffee to make the kidneys work and passed the stones later in the day to my great relief.

So sorry to hear that, but glad you got through it and wasn't something more serious. Sounds very scary.

Haven't been there ... never done that, and I would not want to do it. :cool::cool:

Have quick recovery.

Pat H

I hope you recover fast. Those stone hurt I heard.

Barry

You have my sympathies as well. I've heard they're bad but I've never had them, don't want to think about it even...

Sorry to hear of your kidney stone but I am please that it is all over.

Speedy recovery.

Jim

This is the muffler that I had partly made when the Pain from Hell hit me last Sunday. I'm still sore, but able to hobble around now--though it still feels like my right testicle may drop off at any moment!!!:eek::eek: Does the muffler really muffle?--Well, that's kind of debatable--I think it muffles a little bit. However, more importantly, it directs the oil laden exhaust down towards the base, not onto my shirt or into my face.

Reactions: gus
I'm suffering the same problem with shirts as you had Brian, I always have to stand to one side to miss anything that comes about of the exhaust. I can see from the picture how much you have advanced the timing, is your aluminium disk that holds the magnet permanently keyed in ?, if not you could just rotate the disk the same amount and bring the Hall sensor holder back to its original position. I realise that having the sensor holder pivoting allows you to change the timing whilst the engine is running.

Paul.

Swifty--You are correct--I can rotate the disc with the magnet--its only positioned by a set screw.---I am still feeling crummy from the weekends adventures, so not much time is being spent playing with little engines.-Brian

Last edited:
Luc--You most certainly can. I am more comfortable with the old style points ignition, but that's just me. If you are comfortable with electronic ignition, then by all means go for it.---Brian

Hi Brian,

"70'' young Gus will stay with the Jurassic Ignition for the "Rupnow" Hit & Miss
Engine. Fear of the unknown or just plain stubborn.:hDe:

Cutting the timing gear blanks in an hour's time after clearing mail.:cool:

Gus, I thought that you already had the CDI module, or did you use it on your last engine?
I had very little experience with either ignition types, but now I have used the CDI I'm hooked, it's very easy to set up.

Paul.

Last edited:
I may have lied!!! I said that the muffler didn't really muffle. Standing up close to the engine, its hard to detect any real difference from the sound it made without the muffler. However, this morning the engine is on an "endurance" run out in the main garage with a full reservoir of water and a full tank of gas, and it does sound quite different from a distance.--(I am setting in my office, one wall away from where the engine is running.) The engine makes a much deeper "Thump" noise when it fires with the muffler on than it did without the muffler.

This morning I got up and decided it was time for the Rupnow Engine to start earning its keep!!!----So-----I put the lazy bugger to work!! I had built the steel ball elevator a few years ago, and I realized that the only video I had of it working was a very poorly focused one, taken with my old digital camera just before it died. I had to build a wooden spacer block to get my cone clutch up high enough to clear the edge of the motor base with the o-ring drive belt, and then put a second o-ring drive belt from the clutch to the ball elevator. I started the engine with the clutch disengaged (sorry--didn't get a picture of that) and once it was warmed up for a couple of minutes I engaged the clutch and the ball elevator started doing its thing. Of course, not knowing whether this was all going to work or not, I wasn't prepared to do any video making. I then had to run into my storage cabinet, hunt down my floodlight, hunt down my camera tripod, find my digital camera, and set it all up to take this video. In all the excitement, I forgot to show how the clutch engages and disengages, but take my word for it, it really works slick. I will post the link to photobucket and to Youtube, because apparently some folks have trouble viewing photobucket videos.---Brian.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlLt1XP9nCc&feature=youtu.be

Last edited:
Well Done Brian!! Watching that video almost makes me want to cancel my holiday to England and get down to work! I did say almost since I would be deeply in this mode :fan: if I cancelled now;)

Cheers,

Tom

Back