Rupnow i.c. Engine with governor

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Luc, here's hoping that you can conquer you health problems. I always think that keeping a positive attitude helps a lot in overcoming things like this, will be thinking of you.

Paul.

So---lets take stock. Swifty's engine and my engine are completely finished. Gus's engine is very close to being finished. Cogsy is very close with his engine, but has stalled out to undergo some massive housecleaning and rearranging in his workspace. Luc is not feeling well, and I've lost track of his progress for the moment. My two guys in the U.K. have bowed out, and I don't expect them to do any more on their engines. We have a third Canadian, Tom from Lindsay, Ontario just getting his teeth into a build, and two Americans, Pat Hutcheson from California (who I can't convince to post anything about his build), and KrankieFrankie, who is (I think) from Minnesota. If anybody else out there is building a "Rupnow engine', please let us know.--Brian

Hi Luc,
You will be in my daily prayers for speedy recovery. A fishing mate came back fishing with me after 12 month treatment and cured of prostrate cancer.Sure glad to have him back and watching him pull up fish after another every Saturday was a blessing for us.

Brian,

Have another question for you or for that matter anyone who has made these parts.

I was studying the Rocker Arm Mounting Bracket, the Rocker Arm and the Exhaust Push Rod as an assembly when I noticed that the Push Rod center line does not match up center of the detente (.140dia x .031 deep) hole in the Rocker Arm. It's about .032" off. I'm thing about relocating the Push Rod Guide notch about .032" higher thus raising the Push Rod. This change will also place the Push Rod center line in line with the Cam Gear lobe when at 9 o'clock position.

Has anyone noticed this in their assembly? Or maybe it doesn't matter :D. I'm modeling in SW and there it looks huge! :)

Thanks,

Pat H.

Last edited:
Pat--The way I designed that was so that the centerline of the push rod would be on the center of the cam gear, and on the centerline of the détente in the rocker arm when the rocker arm was half way between its two extremes of position. For 1/32" difference, I doubt very much that you will see any difference in how the engine runs.

So Guys--What's happening? Firstly, Gus!!---Did you get the hit and miss portion of your engine hooked up and operating. Cogsy--I know you were having a run of evil luck getting your engines valves to seal properly.--Did you get ahead of that? Pat Hutcheson--How is your build progressing. I hope its going well, and Jeez, we would really like to see a picture. Luc, I know you will be back to work on your engine when you are feeling better. Chemo really sucks, Big Time. Get better soon. Krankie Franky--Are you still working on the engine or did you give it up? I just couldn't keep my interest level up high enough on the Marble Machine, so as you all know, I have jumped headfirst into the Opposed Piston engine. Have a great New Years and keep us posted about what's happening with your engines. My aim was to have ten of them up and running around the world, but we seem to be stuck at three!!!

Last edited:
Brian,

Thanks for the follow up.

For the last 6 weeks I've been very busy with several customers that need parts right away. So I have working night and day and weekends (Xmas also) just to get them done. :eek:

I think the rush is over for now so I can get back to some real fun. That's playing with your H&M :D

I believe I left off honing the cylinder ... guess it will take a few hours just get back into it.

Pictures ... yes I really need to do that. It's just that keeping up a thread is hard ... and hit and miss thing. :D

Okay ... tell you what ... I will start a post by Monday January 13, 2014 9:00 am my time.

Oh boy now what have I got myself into ??:hDe:

Pat H

Brian
Base is done sides are done fly wheels are done cylinder head is done governor mount will be done tomorrow the little shaft with the 5 holes is done. It would be safe to say that I have done all the easy stuff so next comes the "fiddely bits.

frankie

Good stuff, Krankie Frankie--Where abouts in the world are you located?--Now I have to hear from Cogsy and Gus.

I live in a northern suburb of Minneapolis Minnesota, and yes it does get cold here, not as cold as Canada but cold enough for me.

frankie

That's good Frankie.--Have you ever ran into Lucas Davenport?? So with you and Pat H, that makes two Americans building my engine.

Brian,

Thanks for the follow up.

For the last 6 weeks I've been very busy with several customers that need parts right away. So I have working night and day and weekends (Xmas also) just to get them done. :eek:

I think the rush is over for now so I can get back to some real fun. That's playing with your H&M :D

I believe I left off honing the cylinder ... guess it will take a few hours just get back into it.

Pictures ... yes I really need to do that. It's just that keeping up a thread is hard ... and hit and miss thing. :D

Okay ... tell you what ... I will start a post by Monday January 13, 2014 9:00 am my time.

Oh boy now what have I got myself into ??:hDe:

Pat H

Wellllllll--it's Monday----

Frankie--Lucas is one of my favourite fictional policemen, living and working in the Minneapolis area. I hope your engine build is going well.---Brian

Latest posts

Back