Running on Air -

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpdenver

HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is a video of my 1899 Locomobile Replica (Steam Traction World - Lykamobile) engine - Running on air.
I realize that this is a bit larger than most of the engines here.
Just thought you folks might find it interesting.

If you are interested in the full story, here is my blog:
Poppapope's Steam Car - STW Lykamobile

Regards,
Jim Pope
Denver, CO USA

Pat,
Thanks for your kind remarks.
Yes - lots of parts.
The process is a bit different from most projects, you folks are all machinists. And very good ones at that.
I have machined and built a number of small engines, of the Stuart D10 variety, and built a number of model boats
to run them in.

But as I approach full retirement at 72, I wanted a bigger toy to play with. I do not have a large shop space for full size Lathe and Mill, just 1/2 of a 2 car garage. When I came across Steam Traction World, I fell in love with the concept of building a machined kit - where everything was at about 80-90%.

The STW kits are well thought out and the machining/welding is excellent. But you still have a lot of work to put everything together. They give general assembly instructions and what they call ISO Views, but no dimensional drawings. So you still have to rely on your brain to fiddle and fit.

I am about 50% finished with my build. The boiler and finish piping has been stalled due to UK Regulation issues/COVID.
But that has been straightened out and the remaining kits will be forthcoming soon.

Here is a pic of the vehicle so far:

8D9DE0C0-9E01-4E11-B1DC-51B699E90144.jpeg

Thanks for reading this -
Keep making swarf.

Regards,
Jim Pope
Denver, CO USA

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1J8hR50Urzx9gU6LZYdlMg

Back