Running my programs

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mklotz

Reaction score
Some of my programs (e.g., PROFILE and CAM) use a third party graphics library that won't run on some (all?) versions of Windows XP. In fact, these programs won't run properly on my current computer.

DOSBox,

http://www.dosbox.com/

is a free DOS emulator that can be downloaded from the web. It will correctly run programs like PROFILE and produce the proper graphical outputs on XP systems.

In addition, DOSBox is the tool to run any of my programs, graphical or not, on Windows 7 64 bit systems.

I have no association with DOSBox, yada, yada, yada.

DOSBox is also available Linux for those of us that prefer that operating system, and Marv's programs run there as well Thm:

Regards, Arnold

We use DOSBox to run the old DOS programs on 23 aging production manufacturing machines in the plant I work for.

It works great and is pretty simple to use.
The only problem we run into is the fact that it runs faster than some of our "more experienced" machines are
capable of communicating. ::)

Rick

Foozer said:
That is sure enough does, once I figured out the "Mount ~" bit, runs like a champ

I presume you're aware that the mount instruction can be put in the autorun file so it executes automatically when you run DOSBox.

Since you have included the xxx.c files (source code) with the zips I should be able to compile them in my Linux machine to make executables. I haven't tried it yet but when I have time I think I'll do that with some I've downloaded so I have them ready at need.

I'm running Ubuntu mostly but stuff like this I can easily run from a console window.

Paul

mklotz said:
I presume you're aware that the mount instruction can be put in the autorun file so it executes automatically when you run DOSBox.

Works well that way too, only takes a few minutes to set the file up to do so. takes less time to forget how it was done once it works.

Your programs work well under dosbox and ubuntu

Robert

I downloaded some of Marvs programs recently (thanks Marv, great problem solver :bow:) and they run very well in dosbox with windows 7 ;D
Pete

I wonder how easy it would be to rewrite these programs in JavaScript so they ran right in the browser. A canvas element could be used for graphical output.

Simon

smfr said:
I wonder how easy it would be to rewrite these programs in JavaScript so they ran right in the browser. A canvas element could be used for graphical output.

Simon
That would be the ideal solution. I don't understand why people continue to hang on DOS and early Windows software when Java makes it so easy to run on any (modern) platform in a browser. This is especially so with Android and Linux operating seamlessly in the Cloud. Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) and Ubuntu 12.04 (Precise Pangolin LTS) have already eclipsed Windows 8 before it's been released and yes, you'll need to buy a new computer to run Win-8 (as designed by Microsoft). It's easier than ever to remove that Microsoft hook in your lip. It costs nothing to expand your horizons with Linux. Android is a mobile OS derived from the Linux kernel so when you are using your Android phone and other mobile devices that use it you are using Linux.

n4zou said:
That would be the ideal solution. I don't understand why people continue to hang on DOS and early Windows software when Java makes it so easy to run on any (modern) platform in a browser.

One reason may be that we are home shop machinists and many of us are "getting on in years" and didn't grow up with programming skills "hardwired" in. Etc... I've played with some programming but very quickly get out of my league.

Like I tried to compile a couple of Marv's shop math c files and run into lots of errors and don't know how to debug them and don't want to dig that far into it. Takes away from the shop projects. I suppose others have different reasons. But that's mine and I'm sticking with it. 8)

I would recommend converting all to a spreadsheet format in order to document the formulas used, and to make the programs "open-sourced", so that one does not need to know programming, or have any specific program (other than a generic spreadsheet) to run them.

There are some good spreadsheets that run under multiple operating systems (Linux, Windows, MAC, etc.).

Don't forget that when Marv created these very handy programs DOS was the language of choice. If anyone thanks that they would be better if written in some other language, then put your time in and do it! The programs could be written in any language (Basic, C++, COBOL, Fortran, Linux, Unix, Java, etc.) Marv put his time in they still work for him and he has shared them with everyone. Quit complaining and wishing for them to be in your favorite language of the day. Step up and contribute with your language version. Then post them here for us to freely use.

RollaJohn said:
Don't forget that when Marv created these very handy programs DOS was the language of choice. If anyone thanks that they would be better if written in some other language, then put your time in and do it! The programs could be written in any language (Basic, C++, COBOL, Fortran, Linux, Unix, Java, etc.) Marv put his time in they still work for him and he has shared them with everyone. Quit complaining and wishing for them to be in your favorite language of the day. Step up and contribute with your language version. Then post them here for us to freely use.

Rolla

I agree with you 100%. Marv put a lot of effort into developing these programs (thanks Marv) and they still work fine for me. :bow:

Cheers :)

Don

Latest posts

Back