Running DOS on Windows 7?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seanol said:
Rick,
I tried every compatibility mode in Vista and could not get any of Marv's programs to work. His programs are the only reason I tried so hard to get DOS running!

DosBox was my only solution.

Ah, shucks. I'm flattered.

Seriously, guys, thanks for all your efforts.

rake60 said:
I can't get them to work here even with dosbox.

What am I doing wrong kvom?

Rick

I copied the program to C:, then in DosBox issued a "mount c: c:\"

I also set the program compatibility to XP SP3.

The Home edition does not include "XP compatibility mode", it is in Professional and above editions. I just purchased a Win7 computer this weekend.

As far as I know I'll have to upgrade to the professional edition to use that mode. There is also a HUGE list of Win 7 computers with chipsets that either do not support the compatibility mode or claim too but fail to implement the software properly.

The Intel website will have a list of the compatible chipsets. "Sempron, or Sempro" not sure of the exact name, is one of the chipsets that does not support XP compatibility mode.

Just another way Windows is helping smooth your transition into a needed upgrade. :-\

:eek:

Kermit

My win 7 home premium 64 bit allows running under other versions.- installed a week ago - You need to select the .exe file and right click to select the comparability function you need. Slows things down though.

I am told by my more knowledgeable son that Dosbox will run under WIN 7 64 BIT and that would be his way to go.

The command line function is still available of course.

Since I'm the one who has been pestering Marv for a 64-bit version of DIVHEAD, I'll chime in here. :)

I have tried the Windows 7 XP Mode, to no avail yet, but I think I need to tweak it to at least find the DIVHEAD program--which will probably take me a month or so.

So I installed DOSBox instead, and mounted the drive per instructions and DOSBox seems to be set up just fine, but when I ran DIVHEAD, I'm getting this error message:

FailedtoopenDataFile.png

Any suggestions for correcting that problem would be appreciated. :bow:

BTW, there is a DIVHEAD.DAT file in the folder.

I downloaded divhead.zip and unzipped it to c:\mklotz. The zipfile contains a sample divhead.dat.

I then started dosbox and issued the command 'mount c: c:]\mklotz'

divhead.exe ran normally and was able to read divhead.dat.

Great, DOS lives!

I've bookmarked this thread and will direct the inevitable future questions on this subject to it.

PhotonFanatic said:
Since I'm the one who has been pestering Marv for a 64-bit version of DIVHEAD, I'll chime in here. :)

I have tried the Windows 7 XP Mode, to no avail yet, but I think I need to tweak it to at least find the DIVHEAD program--which will probably take me a month or so.

So I installed DOSBox instead, and mounted the drive per instructions and DOSBox seems to be set up just fine, but when I ran DIVHEAD, I'm getting this error message:

FailedtoopenDataFile.png

Any suggestions for correcting that problem would be appreciated. :bow:

BTW, there is a DIVHEAD.DAT file in the folder.

You're still in the Z: drive apparently. Change to the drive you mounted.

OK I finally got it!

I followed kvom's lead and extracted the boltcirc program to c:\mklotz
Then I opened DOSbox and entered:

DOSBOXinput.jpg

The DOS program opened and I entered some whatever input.

Boltcircsnip.jpg

and, it gave me a correct answer.

Boltcircdata.jpg

No compatibility modes were required.
Yes Marv DOS is still alive in Windows 7 with the assistance of the DOSBox emulator! ;)

Rick

To confirm my first result, I downloaded the bend.exe program.
As before I extracted it to c:/mklotz, then opened DOSBox and
entered:

DosboxBend.jpg

The DOS program opened, I entered some whatever input and it gave me an answer.

DOSBend.jpg

Rick

mklotz said:
Great, DOS lives!

I've bookmarked this thread and will direct the inevitable future questions on this subject to it.
;) DOS lives under Linux as well in DOSBox on Intel/AMD processors. My apologies if this is O.T. in this thread, but might be useful for others.

1. If you are running Linux on Intel or AMD architecture, get a version of DOSBox for your distribution and install it.
2. Download the ZIP file you want from Marv's site, and extract it to a convenient folder on your system. In the example below, I saved and unzipped the divhead.zip file into my ~/Documents/mklotz/divhead directory (apologies about the "Code" tags showing):
Code:
[arnold@localhost divhead]$ pwd
/home/arnold/Documents/mklotz/divhead
[arnold@localhost divhead]$ ll
total 284
-rw-r--r-- 1 arnold arnold 9480 1999-03-16 11:07 DIVHEAD.C
-rw-r--r-- 1 arnold arnold  641 1999-03-16 10:07 DIVHEAD.DAT
-rw-r--r-- 1 arnold arnold 45158 1999-03-16 11:07 DIVHEAD.EXE
-rw-r--r-- 1 arnold arnold 9400 2005-03-06 09:13 DIVHEADT.C
-rw-r--r-- 1 arnold arnold 45054 2005-03-06 09:28 DIVHEADT.EXE
-rw-r--r-- 1 arnold arnold 8691 2005-03-06 09:34 DIVHEAD.TXT
-rw------- 1 arnold arnold 97288 2008-03-12 01:15 divhead.zip
-rw-r--r-- 1 arnold arnold 7377 1999-03-16 11:10 DPLATES.C
-rw-r--r-- 1 arnold arnold 40972 1999-03-16 11:10 DPLATES.EXE
[arnold@localhost divhead]$

3. From the directory where you unzipped Marv's application, run it via DOSBox - remember that Linux is case-sensitive:
Code:
[arnold@localhost divhead]$ dosbox DIVHEAD.EXE

4: Result:
normal_snapshot1.jpeg

So far, all of Marv's applications that I have run like this (and it is most of them) have worked perfectly :)
You can set up DOSBox under Linux to work with the mounting and changing directories like under windows as well to get to the data; I just find this method more convenient.

Regards, Arnold

And just for clarification for Linux users; the above was done from KDE 4 with the Dolphin browser with a command line session enabled:
normal_snapshot2.jpeg

Latest posts

Back