Running a model engine on LP gas

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Propane is a great fuel. Lots of references to it if you Google. It has a higher octane than gasoline and it's pretty straightforward to convert any gasoline engine to run on propane.

Very powerful engines can run on it. I grew up in West Texas around oil drilling rigs that largely had their big industrial engines powered by LPG, propane, and similar gasses. Sometimes they could get it from a nearby gas well.

Lots of propane appliances around you can cannibalize or "borrow" from a regulator standpoint.

For example, I bought a turkey fryer (some on sale about now I'll bet) that came with a regulator setup to go back to a normal sized bottle. Flow control valves like Paula shows are readily available on eBay and are great metering devices if you don't know the right metering size.

BTW, that turkey fryer is great for boiling shrimp. It's fast, easy, and always a crowd pleaser as an appetizer before the main BBQ event. It's also easy to haul down to the beach. In short, I'd want one around even if I didn't ever borrow it to run my model engine.

Cheers,

BW
This is 525 Hp. It runs soley on LPG. The carby is virtually a big funnel with butterfly valves.

Attachments

• IMG_7659.JPG
    IMG_7659.JPG
    304.4 KB · Views: 144
Hi Jeff,

Yes, I noticed the same thing. One side has the square-edged hole (and a mysterious annular depression):

SEAT1.jpg

...while the other side has a slightly-radiused-edge hole:

SEAT2.jpg

...which does allow the needle to seat a bit deeper, but not enough to make a substantial difference.

My needle/seat number is 630932 -- which is the number I got from a couple of different sources. 630978 is the number that I ordered for the diaphragm. ???

Paula
The correct way to fit the valve seat is to put the side with the annular groove into the body first. The side with the small radius in the bore is the actual seat for the needle.

Yesterday I attended the 08 Great Oregon Steam-up in Brooks, Oregon. What a great show! I had no idea it would be that big of a show.
My question is about one of the model engines that was on display, it appears to be operating on LP gas. I did not get the chance to talk to the owner. Does anyone here know about using LP gas to run the little engines?
DSC01750049.jpg

Thanks
Mel
I
Yesterday I attended the 08 Great Oregon Steam-up in Brooks, Oregon. What a great show! I had no idea it would be that big of a show.
My question is about one of the model engines that was on display, it appears to be operating on LP gas. I did not get the chance to talk to the owner. Does anyone here know about using LP gas to run the little engines?
DSC01750049.jpg

Thanks
Mel
I run all my engines on propane. Use the one pound throw away bottles with the Weber go anywhere regulator. You need a on demand valve. There are plans for this if you punch in model engine demand valves. Wen using propane the plug an other areas stay clean.
Harvey

Latest posts

Back