Rudy Kouhoupt Copperhead Steam Roller

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I checked my picture file and can post photos of the Roller here as Scans .
I tried to get it sharper, but the photos were taken in 1984 with a old camera
and Rudy did not have many lights on .
I miss that guy !
Rich

Rudy Kouhoupt's Roller# 1.jpg
Rudy Kouhoupt's Roller# 2.jpg
Rudy Kouhoupt's Roller# 3.jpg
Rudy Kouhoupt's Roller# 4.jpg
Rudy Kouhoupt's Roller# 5.jpg

That's great, Rich! Many thanks. I can download these and take some useful measurements from them.

If I were able to use one of those fancy CAD drafting programs, I could probably draw up a set of plans for it, but I think I can make do with this, though I'll still keep looking for plans.

There was a free photo evaluation program available years ago--maybe 19 or so, that
could give you an idea of lengths when you entered a reference dimension .
I have long forgot the name but a fellow who did HO railroading showed it to me .
Maybe someone here can recall the name ?

Rich

Well, if that isn't it, it'll sure do till something better comes along!

Thank you, Rich, for all your time and trouble. I think I have a winter project here....

Just One request- Please keep us posted on your progress
Do not wait for it to be finished ,
Your endeavor will inspire others to do the same and keeping
a record --even with models (!) of our industrial past
is paramount to our society and mechanical history
Been a pleasure ... and Rudy would be proud of your desire !
Rich

I've been pondering this, and have concluded that, since Rudy and Birk Petersen (whose "Live Steam" construction series I have) both used what looks like the same model of steam roller as inspiration, I can use both of their models in designing my version of Rudy's roller.

In determining overall dimensions, I have decided to make something 60% of the size of the Petersen roller, not least because the channel frame rails I have just cut come from a piece of 3/4" square aluminum tube that I have lying around here. Of course, that's not the only consideration: I have a nice copper tube of about the right size for the boiler, and the overall length of Rudy's model seems to be about 60% of the Petersen roller's length.

The finished model will be more Kouhoupt than Petersen. It all looks feasible right now, and I'll plod along this winter.

My most serious concern, though, is the engine. I can see little of Rudy's engine in the photos I have, and the Petersen engine looks to be beyond my capabilities, so if anyone can suggest a rather basic little twin-cylinder horizontal slide-valve engine I'd appreciate a hand here; otherwise, I may just try something of my own devising....

Gentlemen

Attached are the plans of the roller called "the Coffee Pot"
I hope these are the drawings your were looking for

Kind regards

Julius

Attachments

• 08-12-00-A3-SHEET-01.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 433
  • 08-12-00-A3-SHEET-02.pdf
    739.5 KB · Views: 186
  • 08-12-00-A3-SHEET-03.pdf
    390.8 KB · Views: 190
  • 08-12-00-A3-SHEET-04.pdf
    636.7 KB · Views: 170
  • 08-12-00-A3-SHEET-05.pdf
    640.1 KB · Views: 183
  • 08-12-00-A3-SHEET-06.pdf
    850.6 KB · Views: 152
  • 08-12-00-A3-SHEET-07.pdf
    632.4 KB · Views: 179
  • 08-12-00-A3-SHEET-08.pdf
    904 KB · Views: 250
  • 08-12-00-A3-SHEET-09.pdf
    912.9 KB · Views: 189
  • 08-12-00-A3-SHEET-10.pdf
    621.5 KB · Views: 209
Julius, you are one amazing person, and a supreme supporter of our hobby.
Words do not express the pleasure you bring to all steam engine enthusiasts
with your devotion to graphic plans and their free distribution.
May i say Thank You from the bottom of my heart !
Rich

Just accidentally ran across some information about a Buffalo Springfield Roller
Apparently they have one in Jacktown Pennsylvania
at the Blue Mountain Antique Gas and Steam Engine Assn
https://www.jacktown.org/Didn't see a picture of it at the above website, but didn't do a in depth search either.

I am a member of the Society for Industrial Archeology (SIA) and some members
saw the engine last year and specifically mentioned it in our most recent newsletter

Rich

Great, Richard!

Still plodding along with making a Kouhoupt roller. Not much done, as I am trying to get a Morita Stirling fan to work, and and am having all kinds of trouble that I'd be ashamed to document.

The roller is still on my mind, though.

Latest posts

Back