RS 232 communications... need some coaching

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rog/tn

Reaction score
I have an EMCO CNC 5 lathe.... Everything works and programs fine.
I am now trying to pass programs from my computer via an RS 232 link.
I have had limited success... but have confirmed that my cable is wired and works properly.
Is there a generic communication program that will read my files and pass them to my lathe via COM1?
??? ???
Thanks
rog

Millions, probably

Google it. Xcom. or X-com. I can't remember the details is one we use often at work.
Pro-Comm is also installed but I haven't tried it. Older Windows systems had a rudimentary coms program built in.
The trouble you might encounter is backwards compatability with the newest operating systems and these old comms programs.

Kermit

rog/tn said:
I have an EMCO CNC 5 lathe.... Everything works and programs fine.
I am now trying to pass programs from my computer via an RS 232 link.
I have had limited success... but have confirmed that my cable is wired and works properly.
Is there a generic communication program that will read my files and pass them to my lathe via COM1?

This is a two part issue. Are you sending data in real time to the lathe? Such as commands? In that case you need a terminal emulation program which a lot of the better communications programs have. Just need to know what terminal the lathe is expecting to see.

Or, are you actually trying to transfer a file over to the lathe? In that case you need a transfer protocol such as X-modem or Z-modem. Again you have to match what the lathe expects to see. Is this a data file or actual executable program file?

At work we do this every day and use a commercial program called SecureCRT. It will do terminal, ascii transfer, or X-modem.

Give a little more information about the lathe. Does it have a CNC controller? Do you have a manual for it?

Don't know much about CNC but have been using serial communications for a long time.

A few rules.

#1 - The RS-232 standard ISN'T.

Okay - maybe only 1 rule...

You need to know whether it is 7 or 8 bits. Odd, Even or No parity, 1 or 2 stop bits, the Baud Rate and wheter there is any kinfd of handshaking. The easiest is No handshaking (stuff might get lost though), X-On/X-Off works real well and hardware Handshaking can be miserable. A lower baud rate can make it easier to get things working as there is more time to handle the data on the recieving end. You may also need special characters at the start & end of the CNC program so the recieving end will recieve... You also need to know how to handle end-of-line - does it require CR-LF or just CR or just LF.

It is a nice standard that everyone used in a different way...

Appreciate your input.
I am trying to pass a file to the emco lathe.
As for parity, bits, and handshakes, I have that nailed.
Just looking for a simple program to pass my file to the lathe via comm port 1.

I will check out some of the suggestions in the above posts.
Thanks again for your coaching. Thm:

Hyper Terminal is standard on most Windows systems. On XP is is under Accessories > Communications. Lots of variations on it in the various Windows versions.

I have used it with my Bridgeport CNC and a Mori Seki machining center. It's not too bad as you can save your setting to a desktop icon.

After setup you can just select a file and send it.

Gail in NM

Latest posts

Back