Round Ram Bridgeport

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quote " Was going to buy, but seller still wanted $40 shipping for me to pick it up."

Seller was out of line to try and get shipping out of you, I have bought items off eBay that were local, seller was happy to get the cash and I was on my way.
People who are selling stuff on ebay to get rid of unwanted stuff is one thing, but there are MANY, in fact, MOST people are not of that sort, MOST are actually businesses, permanently selling on ebay. Those sort often charge outlandish prices for "shipping". I have seen shipping from the same region for the same item from 4$ to 40$. It's an insidious way to steal a few extra $$ from the customer. I try to check the shipping prices before I buy but most often, shipping is the last item before one presses the "submit" button. Sometimes, honest people have more than one method of shipping so you can choose but usually it's a fixt price. You have to be really careful of these theives.

Quote " Was going to buy, but seller still wanted $40 shipping for me to pick it up."

Seller was out of line to try and get shipping out of you, I have bought items off eBay that were local, seller was happy to get the cash and I was on my way.
My feelings exactly, saves them packing it up,etc. The curious thing was, I continued to watch this motor. It didn’t sell and they dropped the price. Contacted them to see if I could pick up. Shipping price went up to make the motor price, the same as it was before the discount. Lol, it‘s a motor repair shop. Won’t do any business there. I realize I’m only getting about a 1/3 HP with the SPC but this mill has been sitting so long, I’m just happy to be using it. 110/220V single is probably in my future. Regards.

Another thing I have found on ebay shipping is the price of the item is low but shipping is high. f there is a problem the seller will refund the item price but not the shipping. I just got a collet holder which was supposed to be EM20 but they shipped EM32. I can get a refund for the item price but I am out the shipping and have to send it back on my dime.

My feelings exactly, saves them packing it up,etc. The curious thing was, I continued to watch this motor. It didn’t sell and they dropped the price. Contacted them to see if I could pick up. Shipping price went up to make the motor price, the same as it was before the discount. Lol, it‘s a motor repair shop. Won’t do any business there. I realize I’m only getting about a 1/3 HP with the SPC but this mill has been sitting so long, I’m just happy to be using it. 110/220V single is probably in my future. Regards.
There are auctions that you can generally get a motor or motors for good prices. The auctions are now all online mostly.

Something to keep in mind is that it will likely be much easier (and cheaper) to secure a 3-phase motor that could be turned into an RPC than it will be to find a motor with the proper mount for the Bridgeport. Of course, some sort of adapter could be made, but that may or may not be easy ...

Should you decide to explore the RPC route, keep in mind that your needs are very modest at this point. To run the 1/2 HP motor on your M-head, you'd probably want a 1 HP idler, and might could get by with less. The good news is, motors in this size range get scrapped out all the time. I've got two or three sitting in my garage, acquired as free scrap, and if you happen to be headed to NC sometime soon, I'd be happy to fix you up - but you can certainly find options up your way as well.

Since an HVAC shop is a great source for free / scrap contactors and capacitors, you might see if such a shop has any scrap 3-phase motors as well. The HVAC shop from which I got all the contactors and capacitors needed to build my RPC only dealt in home installations, so didn't have any 3-phase - but I could have had all the single-phase motors I ever wanted, all for free. The 3-phase motors I have acquired have come either from the scrap bin at a nearby university (fortunate to have the necessary connections to be given permission to scavenge) or from a friend who used to do repair work on commercial office equipment, some of which was 3-phase. I'd guess I've picked up half a dozen 3-phase motors at one time or another, mostly 1HP or less, probably about half of them in working order. I missed out on a 10-HP motor that was scrapped out - I saw it and went to get help moving it, but someone else beat me to it. :( But I did manage to snag a 3 HP 3-phase motor that had a broken end bell - I brazed it up and it is now the heart of my RPC that runs my 2HP J-head Bridgeport.

I've been using a Variable Frequency Drive on my Bridgeport. Takes 120 v. single phase and gives 220 v. 3 phase. (You can also get 220 v. single phase in, 220 v. 3 phase out) It also gives variable speeds within the belt changes. It's a TECO Westinghouse and came from Wolf Automation. Easy to wire up, easy to use. It's actually the second one I've had for this mill, the first lost all its magic smoke after 11 or 12 years of working well. No connection to the company, but the VFD's worked for me.
IMG_1286.JPG
( It's actually wired into the breaker box. the plugs are lights)

Doug

Something to keep in mind is that it will likely be much easier (and cheaper) to secure a 3-phase motor that could be turned into an RPC than it will be to find a motor with the proper mount for the Bridgeport. Of course, some sort of adapter could be made, but that may or may not be easy ...

Should you decide to explore the RPC route, keep in mind that your needs are very modest at this point. To run the 1/2 HP motor on your M-head, you'd probably want a 1 HP idler, and might could get by with less. The good news is, motors in this size range get scrapped out all the time. I've got two or three sitting in my garage, acquired as free scrap, and if you happen to be headed to NC sometime soon, I'd be happy to fix you up - but you can certainly find options up your way as well.

Since an HVAC shop is a great source for free / scrap contactors and capacitors, you might see if such a shop has any scrap 3-phase motors as well. The HVAC shop from which I got all the contactors and capacitors needed to build my RPC only dealt in home installations, so didn't have any 3-phase - but I could have had all the single-phase motors I ever wanted, all for free. The 3-phase motors I have acquired have come either from the scrap bin at a nearby university (fortunate to have the necessary connections to be given permission to scavenge) or from a friend who used to do repair work on commercial office equipment, some of which was 3-phase. I'd guess I've picked up half a dozen 3-phase motors at one time or another, mostly 1HP or less, probably about half of them in working order. I missed out on a 10-HP motor that was scrapped out - I saw it and went to get help moving it, but someone else beat me to it. :( But I did manage to snag a 3 HP 3-phase motor that had a broken end bell - I brazed it up and it is now the heart of my RPC that runs my 2HP J-head Bridgeport.
As a fellow scavenger, I envy your university connection. A couple of years ago, I took a Master Cam course at the local Jr. College. The things they throw out, maple work benches, etc. You name it, out with the barely used, in with the new. On that note, a friend of my son works at a local die shop. He rescued this: a 6 inch Kurt vise, which I bought reasonably.

Attachments

• 9B3FEF66-A597-4A76-899E-24CAF329686B.jpeg
    9B3FEF66-A597-4A76-899E-24CAF329686B.jpeg
    295.3 KB · Views: 166
I've been using a Variable Frequency Drive on my Bridgeport. Takes 120 v. single phase and gives 220 v. 3 phase. (You can also get 220 v. single phase in, 220 v. 3 phase out) It also gives variable speeds within the belt changes. It's a TECO Westinghouse and came from Wolf Automation. Easy to wire up, easy to use. It's actually the second one I've had for this mill, the first lost all its magic smoke after 11 or 12 years of working well. No connection to the company, but the VFD's worked for me.
View attachment 124269
( It's actually wired into the breaker box. the plugs are lights)

Doug
It’s always interesting to see what other guys are up to in their shops. Awhile back, I was looking for a small shaper. Don’t ask me why, just a guy thing. I was on my way to the N.A.M.E. Show in southern Michigan. The shaper, I was going to buy was in northern Indiana. It was certainly meant to be. Bought the shaper for $850, an Atlas. While we were loading it into my truck, the guy said, do you need one of these? It was a VFD. What the hell, you don‘t look a gift horse in the mouth. So I actually have one on the shelf. But I have been so invested in getting the static to work, I stubbornly pushed on. I’m including pictures of the shaper and the VFD. Thanks for the reply. The shaper is sitting on a metal frame, I welded up. The drawers are from a trashed roll top desk. Funny at the show, there was an Atlas shaper for sale, little better condition, for $800. $50 less than I had just paid. If you ever get up to Michigan go to the North American Model show in Wyandotte in late April. The engines these guys make, unbelievable.

Attachments

• D3362AF4-7BC6-4326-ACAC-598B612CEF87.jpeg
    D3362AF4-7BC6-4326-ACAC-598B612CEF87.jpeg
    165.2 KB · Views: 195

Andy, I neglected to say, thanks for the hospitality. Regards, Bill

I have a 10 HP Phaseamatic converter I've meant to throw on Craigslist but haven't yet if anyone is interested.

Awhile back, I was looking for a small shaper. Don’t ask me why, just a guy thing.

I have a 7" Southbend shaper, and use it all the time - it is very convenient to have it working on squaring some material while I'm doing other things on the lathe or mill. And I love the price of tooling and the satin finish ...

I have a 7" Southbend shaper, and use it all the time - it is very convenient to have it working on squaring some material while I'm doing other things on the lathe or mill. And I love the price of tooling and the satin finish ...
Andy, I agree about the great finish you can get with the properly ground cutter. What’s nice is you can walk away and go work on another machine. Don’t know if you’re aware of this web site: Kay Fisher on Shapers. A lot of great information.

Attachments

• 74EA9450-C39C-4078-AFEA-6A4CB4C7D5C1.png
    74EA9450-C39C-4078-AFEA-6A4CB4C7D5C1.png
    358.5 KB · Views: 147
I got a 4 axis DRO from tpactools last summer. Installation of the x,y,z axes was pretty straight forward, but the K (quill) axis required making mount parts.
I wasn't sure if I'd use the quill axis, but I find I use it a lot instead of the z.
It's all glass scales, you have to calibrate after installation, but the .0002" it says it's measuring is way more accurate than the sloppy screws ever were.
Amazon says "currently unavailable" probably in a container somewhere.
It was $600.00 plus tax, shipped from Illinois if I remember right.
Instructions were kind of funny, also fairly minimal. The seller seems to think you'll be able to figure it out.
I have some pics, but they aren't on this computer.
I am overall very pleased with the unit, but it is also the only DRO I've been exposed to.
Hope that is of help. I'll find those pictures.
Doug

www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K52K8A0/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Got a general question about putting a DRO on my mill. The prices are all over the place. Any suggestion?
I just installed this one, large clear letters, everything works as it's supposed to and it came complete with guards for the linear scales. How long it will last is another question but I have another Chinese DRO on my lathe that I installed about 15 years ago, the display died and with a bit of minor repair it hasn't caused any issues for the past three years. 112.2US $ 15% OFF|Complete Set 3 Axis LCD Digital Readout DRO with 3 Pieces 0 1000mm Glass Linear Scale Encoder Sensor For Milling Lathe YH800 3|Level Measuring Instruments| - AliExpress

I got a 4 axis DRO from tpactools last summer. Installation of the x,y,z axes was pretty straight forward, but the K (quill) axis required making mount parts.
I wasn't sure if I'd use the quill axis, but I find I use it a lot instead of the z.
It's all glass scales, you have to calibrate after installation, but the .0002" it says it's measuring is way more accurate than the sloppy screws ever were.
Instructions were kind of funny, also fairly minimal. The seller seems to think you'll be able to figure it out.
I am overall very pleased with the unit, but it is also the only DRO I've been exposed to.
Doug

www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K52K8A0/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
4 axis for about $6 sounds about right.

Doug

Hey Sprocket, What is that little engine in your icon? Do you have more? can you show photos?

Hey Sprocket, What is that little engine in your icon? Do you have more? can you show photos?
Doug, went to their web site. Seems to be out of stock at present. You bought the 4 axis? If you did, was the quill mount difficult. Could you show some pictures of all the axis. Would appreciate seeing how you did it. Regards, Bill

Latest posts

Back