Round Ram Bridgeport

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another example of people not knowing what they are doing, when we moved into our present home there was 43volts on the neutral, I found that out when I installed an led light fixture and wondered why it was lighting at about 10% with the switch off
What the hell? Did you get it squared away? What caused 43V? Was it some kind of transformer? Something else? That's not good at all especially if it had high amperage capability. Jesu kristo.

What the hell? Did you get it squared away? What caused 43V? Was it some kind of transformer? Something else? That's not good at all especially if it had high amperage capability. Jesu kristo.
Took a lot of searching and rewiring but it was because the PO didn't obviously know the difference between a hot and a neutral wire or that there was a difference.

Took a lot of searching and rewiring but it was because the PO didn't obviously know the difference between a hot and a neutral wire or that there was a difference.
43 V is so unusual -- it must have been routed thru a lot of resistance somewhere. Yeah, I bet it did take a lot of searching. finding something like that is a day-mare!

As a fellow scavenger, I envy your university connection. A couple of years ago, I took a Master Cam course at the local Jr. College. The things they throw out, maple work benches, etc. You name it, out with the barely used, in with the new. On that note, a friend of my son works at a local die shop. He rescued this: a 6 inch Kurt vise, which I bought reasonably.
To anyone rebuilding a Kurt vise, be careful to not lose the little half moon piece that keeps the moveable jaw from rising. I soaked my recent purchase in a 5 gal. Bucket of rust remover. Losing this little piece in the “soup”. Cleaned and repainted and back together, looked forward to using this accurate, strong vise. The moveable jaw lifted, no matter what I did. Adjustment screw made no difference. After investigating and looking at rebuild kits for this Kurt vise, I noticed this little piece. Which was missing. It rides on the end of the screw and fits in a round pocket on the moveable jaw. This keeps it from rising. What the hell. Where was mine. I almost bought one for $6 on Ebay, until I noticed this small half moon piece of metal laying on my shop floor. Problem solved.

Latest posts

Back