Rotating tailstock lathe chuck adapter

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

myrickman

Reaction score
Does anyone have any plans for making a rotating tailstock adapter to go from a morse taper to a small 4" 3-jaw chuck? I often get occasion where one would be a big help for turning tubing and hollow shapes where a bull nose is impractical. Trying to get an idea of what type of bearing to use as I can buy a MT shank and make the back plate adapter to the chuck.

I am sure it will be on the wrong side of the world for you, but I have been keeping an eye on this one on eBay

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/400261612983

If nothing else, the photos might give some inspiration. Keeping it cheap, two seperate bearings would be the go, but a single dual race bearing would let you use one component and thus make a more compact solution

Why not use a female live center?

livecenter006_zps0578ebc4.jpg.html

livecenter006_zps0578ebc4.jpg

What about a something like a go cart front hub as your backplate mounted on a nice press fit MT2 arbor?

www.ebay.com/itm/SWIFT-GO-KART-FRON...pt=Race_Car_Parts&hash=item2c68259e5a&vxp=mtr

I would think needle bearings would be preferable though. I have seen a live center made from easily sourced ball bearings at the auto parts store doubled up for rigidity. By making your own live center like the one Tom posted, you could just customize it to the common tube sizes you usually use. With a slight taper on each "step" you could effectively center just about any size.

Last edited:
Back