Rotary Valve Steam Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I LIKE IT. I just might have to give this one a try.

Just started building one of this engines. Finished crankshaft,bedplate cyl. holdingplate, main bearrings, just started on boring the cyl.block, that will be finished tomorrow. post some pic. later. This will be the second steamengine i build. the first one was buildt 44 years ago when i was 13 yrs.

Rake,
Thanks for posting the plans.

Crankshafter,
And thank you for posting the picture of your engine. How is yours coming along?

Ralph,
Have you started on yours?

I am going to make this one next.

Kenny

Thanks for posting the plans for this engine.

I just finished building this engine it was fun and it runs great. I am new to the hobby with this being the first engine I have built. I sure have learned a lot during it's fabrication. I'm sure the machining on this engine is not the greatest . However I'm learning and the engine does run great.
My next project is the Webster Engine Works 4 cycle Gas Engine.

Great site
Thanks Bob Parker

Congratulations on your first engine Bob!

Rick

Hello Bob, and welcome:

If I may ask a question. Did you use the 2-56 thread size that is shown in the drawing?

Thanks,
Kenny

Hi Kenny
Yes I did use 2/56 in areas that the plans called for. It seems to work.

Bob Parker

Wonderful work Kenny, they are really coming on nicely.
I see you used the split web design then, did they work out ok for you?, or did you run into any problems, just to let the other builders know if it is a viable proposition on these types of engine.

John

I still haven't found a thin saw blade to slit them. They are a press fit on the pins but I feel they do need a bolt with a slit. The other thing is I added a support between the cylinders and another one on the outside of the flywheel. I used a #2 center bit for the main shafts and 1/4" music wire for the shafts. That gave me the press fit. The shaft is extended past the flywheel so a drive pulley can go on it to run something. It took me a while to find the little bolts like Bob used. The steel bar in the pictures is my failed attempt at a one piece crank as I took too deep of a cut and bent it in the middle. As you can see, there is 5 crankshafts. One of them will be split in half so I can have two one cylinder engines. I have a crankshaft truing stand and they rotate true. I still need to make some fluted columns for the rest of them and couldn't bring myself to possible causing damage the ones that are made.

Kenny

Hi Crankshafter and Kenny,
Nice photos and very nice work.

Kenny, I checked out your photobucket album. Are you building two of these engines?

Thanks for posting the plans Rake.

Phil

Hi Phil,

I am making four engines.

Two of them will be will be close to the drawings with outside cosmetic changes. I don't have the tooling to make them as per print.

I want to make the spacing wider between the cylinders on the second two so each cylinder will be separate from each other. That is why I chose that type of crankshaft as it is just a matter of making the center shaft on the crankshaft longer to push the cylinders futher apart.

Thanks for the compliments guys,

Kenny

the link for this engine turns into a Briggs and Stratton - type site, does anyone have a new link?

thanks

This was my version of the rotaty valve engine (i think it is the same one) it is a good engine to build and runs well, i finished mine earlier this year
Regards Max.........

DSCN0867_edited.jpg

Nice one Max...........Thanks for sharing. :bow: :bow:

Best Regards
Bob

Back