Rotary table problems

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dnalot

Project of the Month Winner !!!
Reaction score
I am using a 6” rotary table I bought from Grizzly. It should have been painted brown so a buyer would know what a turd it is. Its sloppy, the center hole is off center and has almost a full degree of backlash.

So I would like to hear from you guys. What 6” table would you recommend.

Mark T

Thanks for the input guys. The Vertex table looks just like mine on the outside. After watching the videos that Petertha provided. I tore mine down and found the inside fit and finish were crappy in comparison. And the setscrew used to adjust the backlash on mine was missing. In fact the hole was not even threaded. So now I must decide if I am to try and rebuild the unit I have or fork out more money and hope for something better.

Mark T

I am using a 6” rotary table I bought from Grizzly. It should have been painted brown so a buyer would know what a turd it is. Its sloppy, the center hole is off center and has almost a full degree of backlash.

So I would like to hear from you guys. What 6” table would you recommend.

Mark T
Good luck with whatever path you choose. If it were mine I think I would strip it down, clean and re-assemble to factory specs, if you have them. They are often included with the units, but if not are readily available on manufacturer's, websites. Careful readjustment to
spec and proper lube may be all you need. ( process may include de-burr here and there )

I also purchased a Grizzly 6 in rotary table. The quality is bad at best. I had to take it apart clean it, lube it, and try to adjust it. It got slightly better.

Iv had a Vertex 4inch for about 8 years and its been a decent enough table for model making and gear cutting . It is never going to be toolroom quality but for the money a great buy and suits my needs

I found a 8" or 10" table has space for setup.
When had smaller table it was harder to setup do to size.
Any bigger it to heavy.

Today I own a 8" table.

Dave

I have a Phase II 6" table. The fit and finish is good but it leaks oil like a sieve. I agree with SmithDoor on the size. An 8" would be eaiser for setup but I can barely move the 6" around with my crappy back.

Hi Mark. Did you consider to improve your table? Here is an interesting retrofitting, done by a smart guy, could be inspiring. Start from this video clip:

Anyone come up with a way to keep these RTs from leaking oil like a sieve? I have a Phase II 6" that leaks all the oil out in a couple of days making a mess wherever I put it. I was thinking of putting in ball check valve type oil fittings in the critical areas instead. Has anyone done that who could provide some insight?

I had a Phase II 8" table before I went CNC. It seemed quite decent for my needs and oil leakage was minimal. Weighed a lot, and is appropriate for a full size mill.

I have had an 8" Vertex since I got my first Bridgeport Mill in 1989, a round ram M- Head. It is has been really good to me for many years. I came across two HDC that were sold by International in Paramount CA, not sure still in business. One is an 8" (that I have an x-y table mounted on it) the other 10" and they are smooth and dead on. There was a thread earlier on setting up a rotary table, really good information once you get yours running smooth with minimum backlash.

Bob

You should research and read reviews from other users to help you make an informed decision. Good luck finding a new table that meets your needs and expectations!

Hey Mark T, sorry about your bad experience with the Grizzly rotary table. It's frustrating when a tool doesn't meet our expectations. As for recommendations for a new 6" table, I've heard good things about the Vertex HV-6 and the Phase II 221-306. Consider looking into the Yuasa 550-106, which has a reputation for being high quality but comes with a higher price tag. And if you're interested in drilling with your rotary table, check out rotary drill rigs for more precision and efficiency. Good luck with your search for a new table!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back