Rotary Table Dividing Plates

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rustkolector

Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
I have never tried using the dividing plates on my 6” rotary table until today. I am trying to divide a disk into 48 segments using a 90:1 gear ratio table. So, 90/48= 1 turn plus 14 holes on the 16 hole plate (A). Seemed simple enough, so I installed the plate, sectors, and handle on the rotary table. I was good up until I tried to set up the sectors for 14 holes on the 16 hole plate. I put the sectors at about 12 and 1 O’clock. The left sector went up against the left side of the handle pin at 12 O’clock. The right sector was then rotated clockwise to the 14th hole location, but it stopped short near the 12th hole location as it hit the back side of the left sector after about 280 degrees of rotation. What am I doing wrong here?

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

I think I know what your talking about...could you post a picture?

Dave

Sometimes when the rotation in almost a full turn as in your case with 14 holes on a 16 hole plate you need to work on the inside of the sector arms to get to the right spot. Try 11 & 2 O'clock.

Mike,
That is the only way I can get up to the 14th hole, however, once the pin is on the right side of the sector arm, you cannot advance the sector arm unit for the next cut without pulling the pin out first. If you are not careful, you could lose your place that way. Just doesn't seem right! I haven't seen this issue mentioned in any write-ups on using dividing plates.

Jeff

Jeff, set your sector arms to advance 2 holes (16-14) - actually 3 holes visible between the arms, and "advance" the sector arms in an opposite direction to your cranking direction.

For cranking the handle in a clockwise direction: Start with the right hand sector arm at 12 o'clock with its left side against the right side of the handle pin and the left sector arm at 11 o'clock.
Do first operation, advance crank clockwise for a full turn and then on to engage the hole to the right of the left sector arm. Advance sector arms to the left so that the right arm touches the pin again before the next handle crank.

Hope this makes sense...

Regards, Arnold

Arnold,
To get the 14 holes, I thought about advancing the sectors in two moves of 7 holes each. But that wouldn't work too well if you needed to move an odd number of holes like 13 or 15. Your way makes much more sense. I will try it. Thanks.

Jeff

As said set the arms the other way round and advance them, Did exactly the same thing only last week cutting a 48T gear, unfortunately the arms were not quite all in the photo

PICT0229.jpg

J

Latest posts

Back