Rotary engine question (not monosaupape)

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Technician87

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I've just discovered this amazing forum!! Thanks to those who share their knowledge! Regarding rotaries like the Rhone 9b and Bentley br2; are the rear stationary cases sealed in any way...I've looked at drawings and videos but they don't really shed any light,how are the gears for the magneto and pumps lubricated?? Any help would be much appreciated. Stay safe in these crazy times of covid19 and I hope your loved ones are well!!

Below is a cross section of the BR2. I have some more detailed drawings of the magneto drive area. The engine lubrication was a total loss system with oil fed into the crankshaft and eventually left from the unsealed cam box after lubricating the cams and tappets (#35). Some may also leak past the rings and escape from the exhaust. As far as I can tell, the magneto drive gear (#12) was not lubricated. The crankcase was sealed with a leather seal between the gear (#12) and a sleeve on the crankshaft that locked the bearings in place. The magnetos and oil pump were mounted on the rear of the center support (#9) and driven from the main gear (#9). I believe the area was deliberately kept dry to prevent ignition problems.

Lohring Miller

Image (2).jpg

I am so sorry I have only just seen this. Thank you for replying and thank you for all of the information!! Hope you're well, have a good day!!

Latest posts

Back