Rope Making Machine Plans?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vascon2196

Reaction score
Does anyone have a set of plans for a rope making machine?

I saw a guy using one up in Vermont at an engine show...its a planetary gear setup...he had an old cast iron one.

Please and thank you.

No plans but I made mine from pics on the net ... google rope walk. The main thing is getting the gears to mesh. The gears I used are from r/c cars ... virtually anything will do that will turn three gears off of one central one. I drive mine with an electric drill and it drives the central shaft at the back.

There are also youtube vids if you search rope walk.

Tom

RopeWalk.jpg

RopeWalk1.jpg

Rope or Braid? Three strand rope is pretty easy. At the head end you need 3 spindles that turn in the same direction- a central sun gear with 3 equal size planets around it works fine. At the Tail end you need a spindle that turn in the opposite direction. So you twist the strands one way and wind then the other and get a nice laid rope. You do need cone with three grooves along it to run along as the rope is formed to keep the strands the proper tension.

We made rope as Boy Scouts with a simple rig we made with wood and coat hanger wire. The tail end crank was a brace and bit.

Now braid is MUCH more complicated. There have been braiding machines at a few of the New England shows. There used to be a fellow, whose name I now forget, that had a beauty he took to many shows. It consist of several spindles that follow a looping path that swings them around a set of gears. Remember the old Square Dance move where women went one way, guys the other, while handing off hands?

Rope or Braid? Three strand rope is pretty easy. At the head end you need 3 spindles that turn in the same direction- a central sun gear with 3 equal size planets around it works fine. At the Tail end you need a spindle that turn in the opposite direction. So you twist the strands one way and wind then the other and get a nice laid rope. You do need cone with three grooves along it to run along as the rope is formed to keep the strands the proper tension.

We made rope as Boy Scouts with a simple rig we made with wood and coat hanger wire. The tail end crank was a brace and bit.

Now braid is MUCH more complicated. There have been braiding machines at a few of the New England shows. There used to be a fellow, whose name I now forget, that had a beauty he took to many shows. It consist of several spindles that follow a looping path that swings them around a set of gears. Remember the old Square Dance move where women went one way, guys the other, while handing off hands?

Go left-Go right, Go all the way round. Your big foot up and your little foot down, Go all the way, All the way, All the way round--and promenade!! Damn!!--I grew up playing back up guitar in square dance bands, and I loved the callers for a square dance. Old beat up guys that looked about a hundred years old (the way I look now), but could they ever call. I've seen rope making machines at steam shows, and they were pretty darn neat!!---Brian

All great information guys, thank you very much! I would love to have an original but they are around $300 on average...probably well priced but I'm buying a house by myself...and need all the $$$ I can find.

BUT, making one would only cost me time...and since I teach...I can add a "rope making machine" to our curriculum!

When I build mine I will start a new thread...I need a break from that Quadricycle project anyway!

Thanks again.

Back