Root & Vandervoot Model Broke

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobsModels

Reaction score
Hi

Thanks to all who have looked, we have acquired the information from a local modeler who is lending us his prints
I am posting this on a couple of boards.

A friend of mine has a 1/2 scale of a 1hp horizontal hopper cooled Root & Vandervoot engine. He purchased it completed and has been using it for a while. Today, at a show of course, the shaft that holds the big timing gear and the latch broke. One of the legs of the “U” that forms the support for the latch broke off. It looked like there was barely any metal holding the leg together. We do not have the prints so before we go pulling it apart I have a couple of questions.

On the inside of the base I can see the end of the shaft, it looks like there is a allen type cap screw recessed in the end of the shaft. Not sure what this is for. There is a bolt on the base casting going into the shaft hole and that clearly is what holds the shaft in place. The question is what is the cap screws' function?

We are assuming we can figure out the dimension’s but it would be nice to know what is what before we just pull the shaft out and have stuff flying all over the place.

What we really need is the drawing for the shaft. Just a picture of the shaft area of the drawing page would be great, do not need anything else. Or a hand drawn sketch.

Is there anyone out there who built this engine and can tell us what to expect? Has anyone else had this issue?

Thanks

Bob

Last edited:
See top of the opening post

Larry
Thanks for the information, the engine is repaired and up and running.

Bob

Latest posts

Back