Root&Vandervoort with Magneto

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
John-

That is a really smooth running build you have there.
I greatly enjoyed your Olds videos too.

The added features are really nice !

Unfortunately, many of the casting kit companies seem to be going the way of the Dodo.

Awesome build for sure.

Pat J

Great result John! The changes you made are a good addition. It's nice to see another engine running on one of your magnetos!
Charlie

Realistic and quiet pace for this engine ! great result, specially for the use of the magneto, which usually don't like slow speed!

My goal was to make a slow running, long coasting engine. The only real disappointment is that it take 2 or 3 hits to come up to speed. I think the problem may be the heavy flywheels.

On my other magneto fired engines I turn the mag at crank speed, on this one I'm turning the mag at twice crank speed. So if the engine is running at 300 rpm the mag is turning at 600 rpm. Makes starting lots easier too, never had much luck making a working impulse. When running rich I get some interesting exhaust notes from the residual fuel being ignited at odd times!

Nice engine, I especially like the sound of engine .

My goal was to make a slow running, long coasting engine. The only real disappointment is that it take 2 or 3 hits to come up to speed. I think the problem may be the heavy flywheels.

On my other magneto fired engines I turn the mag at crank speed, on this one I'm turning the mag at twice crank speed. So if the engine is running at 300 rpm the mag is turning at 600 rpm. Makes starting lots easier too, never had much luck making a working impulse. When running rich I get some interesting exhaust notes from the residual fuel being ignited at odd times!
I was always told that bronze was about 10% heavier than iron. I have weighed some of my silicon bronze flywheels and find compared them to the identical iron...... they are closer to 20% heavier. I think this is from the kit I sold you at the Black Hills Show....traded Rocky a Mery kit for it 10 or 15 years ago

I realise the castings are likely unavailable, but does anyone know if drawings are still available anywhere?
I'm guessing the lack of replies means no-one knows of the availability of drawings. Several models have obviously been completed over the years; what do builders do with drawings when they finish a model? Can drawings be onsold after use without offending copyright? I am still keen to obtain a set of drawings with the hope of being able to fabricate the unavailable castings. Here's hoping!!

I was always told that bronze was about 10% heavier than iron. I have weighed some of my silicon bronze flywheels and find compared them to the identical iron...... they are closer to 20% heavier. I think this is from the kit I sold you at the Black Hills Show....traded Rocky a Mery kit for it 10 or 15 years ago
A quick check on the internet shows bronze being 22% heavier than gray iron.

I'm guessing the lack of replies means no-one knows of the availability of drawings. Several models have obviously been completed over the years; what do builders do with drawings when they finish a model? Can drawings be onsold after use without offending copyright? I am still keen to obtain a set of drawings with the hope of being able to fabricate the unavailable castings. Here's hoping!!
I have run into this problem with several engines that I want to build.

My solution is to go find photos on the internet, study them closely, pick off the proportions between the various parts in CAD, and then build a 3D model.
From the 3D model, I can make 3D patterns, and then cast these old engines.

I don't copy the old designs such as the 1/2 scale Briesch Olds, but rather default back to original photos of the old Olds engines, and then start new drawings from scratch that are based on photos of old Olds engines.
Any copyright issues are avoided if one creates their own drawings from old photos.

I assume folks who have the old drawings are concerned about copyright issues.
Nobody would share their Briesch Olds drawings with me, and for whatever reasons that is no problem.
It makes no difference to me since I can make my own drawings and castings anyway.

The old 1/2 scale Briesch Olds design will die since there are no more castings, and nobody shares drawings.

A new 1/2 scale Olds design is being created, and I will make that design open-sourced to all, so that it will never go away.

The same can be done with the Root & Vandervoort, or many other engine designs.

I am recreating a Soule Speedy Twin, a Ball Hopper Monitor, a Galloway, a Frisco Standard, and several other engines, using old photos only.
I plan on posting open-source drawings for all of these engines.

All you need is a few good photos, and a backyard foundry.

These days, new engine builders are left with few choices except to start recreating the old designs from scratch.
It can be done; I have done it.

Latest posts

Back