Rookie machinist

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MElliott

Reaction score
Hi All.... My name is Mike and I'm 45 yrs old, married, with three daughters 22, 11, and 9. Good planning there huh??? Anyway, my Pop was a toolmaker for GM for 36 yrs before he retired and I was always fascinated with some of the stuff he could make. I work for a local municipality in the street division but always wanted to learn the skills my Pop had. I bought a lathe about 7 yrs ago with hopes of dad teaching me but he was diagnosed with throat cancer shortly after and teaching me how to use the lathe got put in the back burner. He passed away two yrs ago and though I have learned quite a bit from youtube and with help from one of my dads friends, I'm far from a machinist. I picked up a Bridgeport a little over a year ago also. I talk to one of my dads friends quite a bit and truth be told when my Pop needed something done that was "important" he would ask this guy to do the machining. My Pop worked on the floor and did more repairs and maintenance than he did machining. His friend on the other hand worked in the tool room and according to my Pop "is the best machinist hes ever personally known". Anyway I was asking him about ways to learn more and he suggested model engines so here I am. Im doing a lot of reading and thinking I want to try a flame eater for my first but not 100 percent decided. I do more reading than I do posting. Please dont think of it as rude, its just I dont post much unless I think I can add to the discussion. Im amazed at what I've read and seen so far on this forum and excited to learn what I can..... Thanks
Mike

Hi Mike,
I retired over twenty years ago and decided to 'learn' about making model engines. I was not a machinist in my 'other life'. I have enjoyed building several internal and external combustion engines that you might have seen on this forum which has been very helpful to my 'learning' process.
I still consider myself a 'rookie' machinist in most instances and never a journeyman.
"Start learning as soon as possible and never stop...learning".

Ray M

Latest posts

Back