Rolling Mill

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SBWHART

Project of the Month Winner!!!
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
As any one got any information on Rolling Mills:- book title, photo, etching, etc, I've got an idea bubbling in my head, most of it sorted but still need some details.

Stew

What size are you looking for? There is quite a big span in sizes

Drawing_Rolling_Draw_tong_Mini_Rolling_Mill.jpg

steel_rolling_mill.jpg

Thanks guys.

I would say something between the two in size.

I've found/poined towards a couple of usfull youtube links.

Stew

I built this one quite some time ago. The rolls are about 14 inch wide made from heavy wall 4in pipe.
IMGP1255.jpg

The two fixed rolls need to be connected with a chain drive or they'll spin on the material. Also small dia rollers seem to spin.
I've rolled full width 5/16 plate with no effort.

I assume that you open the top of the roller, insert the flat stock, close the top of the roller, adjust the threaded rods either side for a light touch?, and then roll the bottom rolls which are connected by chain?

As the piece bends, you continue to adjust the threaded rods either side? until the piece is bent as much as you want?

I have seen them but not actually used one.

Thats it Pat.

But Stew wants details of a rolling mill not bending rolls, the mill just has two rollers that squeeze the plate to the desired thickness as it is passed back and forth.

J

Oh I see.

So for a rolling mill, would you have to roll it hot?

I know bending mills can operate on cold steel.

No mate, there are mills that roll hot and mills that roll cold.

OOPs, sorry wrong beast, didn't read the initial post or look close enough at the other posts.

Greg

tel said:
No mate, there are mills that roll hot and mills that roll cold.

Hence the terms Hot Rolled and Cold Rolled steel with their considerably different metallurgy.

Best Regards
Bob

Thanks for your input Guys

The place I worked had a brass strip foundry, with continuos caster hot and cold rolls, so I'm fairly well up on what they look like I was checking to see if I could find some older steam powered mill info to see what they looked like from what I can see there hasn't been too much change.

In brief my plan is to have a twin cylinder horizonatal engine similar to Brians donkey engine as a power source, driving a single high plate mill through a reduction gear, from one power take off and a fish tail cropper at the other end, I think it would be an interesting Model.

Stew

David Piddington had a series in ME a few years back that had loads of etchings of old machinery, may be worth looking back at those to see if there is anything suitable though I think a lot although very large was line shaft driven.

J

Hi Jason

David Piddington had a series in ME a few years back that had loads of etchings of old machinery, may be worth looking back at those to see if there is anything suitable though I think a lot although very large was line shaft driven.

Yes I remember that I'll look up my back issues thanks for the reminder

Found this free down load from the US lots of good info

http://www.archive.org/details/rollingmillmachi00unit

Stew

There are a few likely candidates there, now what are you like at machining chevron gears ;D

J

Yes its quite a good read, worth having a trawl around the rest of the stuff as well.

As far as the chevron gears go, I think I will cheat and just cut them straight. ::)

One of the mills we were running had a lubrication problem in the closed up gear box, the mill finaly stoped turning, when the covers we're stripped off the gear teath on the chevrons had worn down to nothing, it was amazing how it had kept going for so long.

Stew

Back