Rivetting Snaps

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lindo

Lindo
Reaction score
I am considering making my own snaps for use building "Minnie"
The standard types will not get to those hard to reach places.
Does anybody have advice on this issue and even better photo's
of home made ones.
It seems as though I will need dog leg ,swan neck shapes,etc.
I do not want to reinvent the wheel when well proven tools are out there.
Mr Masons book shows a special snap for the wheel spokes to rims,but I am interested in the boiler build at this moment.

Thanks
John

I'll take a pic or two of mine later, watching F1 qualifying at the moment.

J

That's what I'm doing Jason,Good ol Lewis,I make my rivet snaps by putting a dimple in the end of a piece of silver steel then pressing the right diameter steel ball into it,then hardening and tempering.Works ok for me anyway.
Don

Sent from my iPad using Model Engines

From left to right commercial 1/16" snap, homemade set and a homemade snap that can be placed into a hole in any suitable bit of stout bar

IMAG2548_zps21283c75.jpg

These are 3/32" and 1/8" snaps, the second from the left is how they were all shaped when bought, the ends have been turned and in some cased ground to give extra clearance in tight places. The homemade snap on the right can fit into a length of rod to increase its length, handy for doing the backs of tenders, anothe homemade one in some 2"x0.5" bar

IMAG2550_zps0c558c92.jpg

The end of a commercial snap in another bit of that bar that has been cut away to fit around rear wheel tee rings

IMAG2552_zpsf02f7978.jpg

As said above a drilled dimple in teh end of some silversteel, heat it yo red hot, place a suitable ball in teh dimple and hit it hard. You can also use a ball end mill if you have the right radius.

J

Latest posts

Back