• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeModelEngineMachinist and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Rivett Lathe - Amazing!!!

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's Sweet! Too bad spares and accessories are just about unobtainium.....or cubic dollars. ::)

That's going to go for good money....I'll be watching.

Dave

Cut gears for one thing!

It also has a vertical head so it is two in one.

Andrew

Very nice Lathe, I'd love one like that. Is the bed cast or fabricated do you think?

Vic.

Cast and scraped. There are multiple bearing surfaces on the top and side at the same time

It's been known as one of the most difficult lathes to scrape or rescrape.

Dave

Like all used machine tools, this could be a buyer beware. This could be a beat up lathe with a rattle can overhaul, sold by a used machine dealer. Made in 1941, I doubt that the previous owner bought it new for his hobby shop

Stan said:
Like all used machine tools, this could be a buyer beware. This could be a beat up lathe with a rattle can overhaul, sold by a used machine dealer. Made in 1941, I doubt that the previous owner bought it new for his hobby shop

Agreed
Yeah I wonder how hard it was used through WWII.....Precision lathes were highly valuable during the war.

Dave

lazylathe said:
Cut gears for one thing!

It also has a vertical head so it is two in one.

Andrew
Dear Lazylathe,
Forgive me, but I was hoping to get a fuller idea of what one would do on a horizontal rather than vertical miller. For example, I have one that has both heads, and I certainly can do gears on the vertical. So, what are the unique advantages of the horizontal? How would I tool up for horizontal milling and what would I want to do that I can't on the vertical setup?
Thanks,
Mosey

Mosey said:
Dear Lazylathe,
Forgive me, but I was hoping to get a fuller idea of what one would do on a horizontal rather than vertical miller. For example, I have one that has both heads, and I certainly can do gears on the vertical. So, what are the unique advantages of the horizontal? How would I tool up for horizontal milling and what would I want to do that I can't on the vertical setup?
Thanks,
Mosey

Sorry Mosey, i was not being sarcastic or anything!
I have no idea what you would use a horizontal mill for apart from cutting gears.
I have seen them with large shell mills on them for smoothing off the surface of metal.
Easily cut bevels, keyways etc...

I think they are like shapers, not really required but once you have one and figure out what you can do on them they are a great asset!

Andrew

Mosey... you can do things like this...

hm09.jpg

Eric

Mosey,

Generally speaking, its a question of metal removal rate. A horizontal tends to be far more rigid than a vertical.

It's also more difficult to tool up as Brass Machines points out...doing a single part day in and day out. You see most of them set for dedicated production.....unless you have a F1....then it can do just about anything.... ;D

Dave

Dave,
As you must know, the F1 has a mill arbor of W12 x .640" internal hole size. What is that 5/8"? What would fit on that shaft?
I see lots of slitting saws with 5/8" arbor hole, but no shell mills.
Thanks,
Mosey

FWIW, this seller has a reputation for listing everything as 'NICE!!!" or better.

That and rumors of shilling too.

But I've bought things from them and been ok with the price and condition overall.

You have to wonder about the price some of there stuff ends up at.
They currently have a used Huot Fractional Drill cabinet that is at $89.88 with a $27.00 shipping charge.
The same cabinet new on Amazon can be had for $73.09 and free shipping.

Mosey said:
Dave,
As you must know, the F1 has a mill arbor of W12 x .640" internal hole size. What is that 5/8"? What would fit on that shaft?
I see lots of slitting saws with 5/8" arbor hole, but no shell mills.
Thanks,
Mosey

Oh I know Mosey. Its still cool though!

My vn-12 will do this also.....with a 4 inch cutter!

Dave

portlandron said:
You have to wonder about the price some of there stuff ends up at.
They currently have a used Huot Fractional Drill cabinet that is at $89.88 with a $27.00 shipping charge.
The same cabinet new on Amazon can be had for $73.09 and free shipping.

Some people don't look around and find out what stuff costs before they bid on it. Live auctions run the same way. I went to an estate auction because a lathe, mill, and tooling were listed in the flyer. He had been using both to cut wood. Both were covered in sawdust and dry as a bone. Apparently he never oiled them or bothered to keep them clean. The headstock and carriage on the lathe were dry where there should have been oil. They were so dry the oil level sight glass rubber had dry rotted allowing the bulls eyes to fall out. This allowed sawdust to collect inside the bearings, gears, and shafts. I would not have taken them if they had given them away because I would have had to move them out and that would have cost more than they would sell for scrap metal. Both sold for almost double the price of new machinery and both were of Chinese manufacture. I could almost understand if they had been made by South Bend or some other name brand quality but no, these were obviously the cheapest machines he could find. I didn't bother to stay for the tooling as it was all made for woodworking. I sort of felt sorry for the poor chap that 'won' them.

Back