risks of not having the correct tool.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mulac321

Reaction score
you might have seen this from my workshop post but this is my vice after i used it as a bearing press
IMGP0961.jpg

its not the expensive but i cant a new get one during the bank holiday weekend and Ive really missed it. at least i have plenty of scrap cast iron for future projects.

Calum

Calum,

That happens to a lot of vices. :eek:

If you have access to oxy/acet it is repairable using bronze brazing and will be almost as good as new.

Best Regards
Bob

Always seems to happen at the worst time too...weekend, bank holiday, etc. Dare we guess the origin of the iron :big: Had the same thing happen to the arm casting of a 5 ton ratcheting arbor press from you know where too.

Bill

Bob afraid I don't have easy access to raising equipment. I have a mig and arc welder but decided I'm better off buying a new one then flaffing about trying to fix it, knowing my lucky it will go at another crucial moment and leave me without a paddle... Yes bill you know exactly where the vice was made. But luckaly because it was made there a replacement is cheap. False econemy?

Calum

Oh I dunno - I have an identical one mounted on the tray of my one tonner, it's stood up to about 5 years of hard work.

Brazing it would cost you almost as much in gas as a replacement would - just git another, and don't try pressing bearings with it!

Now I don't feel so bad. I've got one exactly like the one in the photo. It's in the same condition, too. Done the same way. Only difference is that mine broke cleanly into two pieces, not three like yours. The Wilton I bought to replace it has been much better so far.

Anybody want a free broken vise to practice your brazing skills on? :big:

Latest posts

Back