Right place at the right time

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcfreak177

Reaction score
G'day,

Today I went down to the local electrical supplier to get some wire for my CNC mill,

I managed to pick up the wire, was telling the salesman what I was doing with it. I got a response with a smile "follow me"

We went out the back, I was told that one of the major mining companies here in Australia had ordered all this stuff, paid for it all but is no longer needed and they were told to keep it.

There is a large assortment of UNC, UNF, BSP and metric taps and dies, all brand new and also in Sutton and Goliath brands. I was told to have a look and if I wanted anything we could work something out.

I did not even look in the box and asked "how much for the whole lot"

The salesman replied with "$100.00"

I swear my response was instantaneous "sold"

Could not believe my luck. I did miss out on the milling cutters though, Approx double what I managed to get, someone else got that for $150.00.

I am one very happy man.

you have gotta love the Australian Mining industry.
So inefficient, incompetent and wasteful. Rof}Rof}Rof}

Baz.

Last edited:
Beaut score Baz! I had a similar one some 20 years back when at the local Reece's to pick up some bits and pieces. Always being a scrounger, I always look in the bargain bins at stores, and I was chatting to the salesguy at the time, while pulling out really useful gas blowtorch fittings, forstner drills, keyhole saws, etc, etc, at a few bucks each item, which was really cheap then. The guy saw me giving the box a good going over, and said if I was interested I could have the entire bargain box which contained probably 60-80 tools, "how much" I said thinking this will be a ridiculously high price, $5 he said! He was sick of seeing the stand there! I wondered if maybe he was a disgruntled employee!

I don't think I paid for anything so fast in my life as I hightailed it outta there before anyone changed their mind! My missus was with me and she just cracked up at me! To this day I'm still pulling out new drills and blades to use from the lot!

cheers, Ian

If it was MM electrical in Canning Vale I will self harm! Was there just after lunch. :D
Very nice score!

If it was MM electrical in Canning Vale I will self harm! Was there just after lunch. :D
Very nice score!

Rof}Rof}Rof} No need for self harm today.

Was Lowrance and Hanson in Kelmscott,

Back