Rider rescue or Mr Drilling orphan

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fcheslop

Reaction score
Hi David, long time coming
little video https://youtu.be/DTqcLoUxCAg
These castings had been severely butchered by I think a few people
Even the pre milled surfaces were badly bowed as to why Iv no idea
The crank center line is 6mm to the left of the cylinder centers so a wee bit of jiggling head scratching has been needed over a couple of years on and off
The beam had been bent at the ends in a vain attempt to get things lined up :wall: so a new beam was carved from a bit of bar as well as the bearing pedestal . All in all its been a swine and still has a far way to go
Thanks also to Bobsmodels for the info you kindly supplied it was a great help
Not sure about the pump yet as its not to scale we shall see
In the video theres no packing in the piston and no gasket on the hot cap
kind regards
frazer

PIC_0008.jpg

PIC_0001.jpg

PIC_0006.jpg

These castings had been severely butchered by I think a few people
Even the pre milled surfaces were badly bowed as to why Iv no idea

frazer

Actually it is a 'classical' engineering situation in full size practice. Certainly, raw castings were machined to remove the 'skin' and left out in the bad weather to normalise and then be finally machined.

When George Thomas machined the Mk1 castings for his Universal pillar tool- all was well-- until he split each one. He substituted a set of arms which didn't have to be split. I have one!

Chaddock seemed to have hit the same sort of problem when doing the clamping of bed bars on the Quorn. They were not alone, when I machined the 3" hole(?) in the Westbury mill it was A OK -- until I spilt it!I still have my Quorn- somwhere
The old Westbury is long gone!

Years and I mean years ago, I got an Enox lathe along with a Zyto.
I ran a steel rule over the bed of the Enox and found it banana shaped.

Probably, castings should be rough machined and then left in the ashes of- say a barbecue or bon fire.

Distortion can be found on BMS where as hot rolled it less prone to this

When I used to machine and rework MiniCooper cylinder heads, they were often distorted and then came that bloody oil way on the 12G295 and 296 heads-- but I digress

Cheers

N

I'd forgotten how big that Ryder was. It's a fair chunk of metal.

Looking good though Frazer, and you've done quite a bit to it since I last got to see it.

Hi Norm, Iv come across castings moving in the past to my cost but these in alloy were like bananas . The studs into the casting were at anything from 70 to 60 degrees but never 90. The whole lot was wrong and it nearly hit the shop door at speed a few times.
Need to remake the connecting rod from crank to beam just to bring into line as at the moment the slot for the beam is to oneside and I had to make the slot wider to get a running fit at least I know whats needed now:wall:
At least its a runner well was as its back in bits to sort out a few problems then onto the pump
I had forgotten about the oil way in the A series head
Thanks Jon , its a stretch for my kit and everything was on the pips. Had to make a larger fixed steady and a new boring bar and holder as well as many little jigs along the way. It has been a challenge to say the least
Thanks for the interest and sorry theres no build thread as its an as and when build

A link to a little bit of the castings past history .These casting must be a good 20 to 30 years old
http://madmodder.net/index.php/topic,3881.0.html
Many thanks for the interest its now going to have the pump made then it can have a decent run as at the moment its short runs only as Im concerned about over heating the water jacket to liners glue
kind regards

Latest posts

Back