Rhodes Shaper!!!!

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Dave,

How would I reverse the motor direction?
There is no mention anywhere about motor
rotation.
Kind of like there is very little info on these
shapers. Even the manual is kind of vague...

Andrew

OH man....I have to be careful with that one! STEVE!!!!!!!

Steve Huck can do it in his sleep....take a picture of the connection box, maybe it's obvious.

I believe you need to swap the two legs but that depends on the motor....single phase right?

but I KNOW you need to change it.

Dave

Single phase motor.

I can upload another video tomorrow without
it cutting if that will help.
Bit late now...

Now is the time I wish that the manual actually
was of some use!

Andrew

No worries Andrew. I think the collective wisdom here can sort that out.....or at least Steve Huck! ( love ya bud!) ;D

I did a load and force analysis regarding the effects of running a shaper backwards for Kay Fisher and NEMES quite a few years ago.like close to 15+ years ago..it added like 70% to the train forces.....so take care of it sonner than later.

Additionally, the manual is probably a bit vaque because when this guy was built, these things were common knowledge with machinists of the time.
So probably won't show up

If you can get a copy of the AAMCO 7" manual, it may say something about that.

Dave

Andrew take the connection cover off the motor it may have a connection diagram on it. Also look at the motor wires and see if there are numbers on them or colors. I also perfume you are running it on 120 volts.
From your photo it has a capacitor on it and looks like it is a resilient base motor.

Don

Great find, I have three shapers and have my eye on a old SB seven inch, love the sound of them and can remove a lot of metal fast, yes you want it going slower on the forward stroke, happy days are here for U, Lathe Nut ;D

True - BUT ...!... You can't be sure that the terminals are in the same positions or means the same in another brand or from different periods of time - so take care.

You should be able to differe between the terminals with a multimeter if the plates are removed - NOT PLUGGED IN. You should be able to measure a static resistance between two terminals that has a coil / winding connected and a declining resistance between terminals with a capacitor between them. This in itself doesn't tell you which winding is the main and the start winding nor witch capacitor is for start or run, but compared with how it was connected, you should be able to guess which is which.

It makes no difference how the terminals are arranged, only that you make sure you are swapping only the starting winding and capacitor wires. The starting winding and capacitor are connected to L1 and L2 (main motor winding coils) so what you are doing is connecting the starting winding to L1 or L2. Say you have the starting winding connected to L1 so the starting winding starts the rotor turning in a clockwise direction. Connecting the starting winding to L2 will then start the rotor turning in the Anti-clockwise direction. Of course the capacitor (and centrifugal switch) must always be connected to the opposite motor lead.

Thanks guys!
I took a picture of the wiring inside the motor cover plate.

The link shows motors with 6 connectors.
Mine has 5 like this:
IMG_6364.jpg

Any ideas on which leads to swap?

Thanks,

Andrew

Figure it out!!
Swap the black and red wires and it turns in the reverse direction!
You cannot see the red wire as it is under the orange wire.

LL looks like I will be doing the same thing I recently found out the rotation on my atlas shaper motor is the wrong way.
Tin

Sigh.....

You get all the nice machines Andrew - Really nice score on this one Thm:

Kind regards, Arnold

All sorted out!!! :big:
That is why i love this forum!!! :big:

Thanks Dave!!!
Karma for you!!!!! :bow:
Looks like you have helped more than just me in this thread!!!

Here is the latest video clip of it running in the correct rotation.
Sounds so much better too.
I was worried because it did not sound right with the motor going the wrong way, there was a clicking noise from inside
that sounded out of place.
Now with it going the right way it has gone away!!!

And to add to it even the clapper claps away while working now!!! :big:

[ame]http://youtu.be/PJnH_189v48[/ame]

Andrew

Good to hear!

Keep her well lubed and she'll be around in another 100 years too!

Dave

Hi Andrew.

You know you can reduce the stroke to where the tool only overruns about a 1/2" on each end and get rid of a lot of wasted motion. ;D

Very nice little shaper! I think you'll find it as handy as a Swiss Army Knife. Thm:

Cheers

Jeff

On Home Shop Machinist /Machinist Workshop this would qualify you for a "Tool Gloat."
You made a great score.

john

Hi Andrew,
That is a very nice little shaper, of a design with its overhead belt drive from many years ago, As it is still a good operational machine with a lot of historical machine tool features makes her all the more precious Excellent for a home craftsman. The sound of her working is music to everybodys ears, Rythmic & gentle

What is the purpose though of the weird piece of aluminium angle clamped to the top of the ram,? Wastes the look of a very handsome machine tool

oilmac said:
What is the purpose though of the weird piece of aluminium angle clamped to the top of the ram,?

That's where you attach the martini shaker.

Lovely machine!

And for anyone who doesn't have a shaper - Get one!

Now!

Not sure what the metal plate was used for???
That us how she came to me.
I know that an adjustment lever for the ram was supposed to be there,
must have been lost somewhere in it's life.

I will have to make a new one and get rid of the plate!!

Andrew

Back