RF 45 CNC Upgrade

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maury

Reaction score
I have an X45 converted CNC machine, and have Serious backlash. After having investigated the cause, I have come to the conclusion I need to replace the ball screws and and thrust bearings. The current ball screws are too small for that machine, and are worn. The thrust bearings are cheap ball bearings with only a mechanical tensionor. I have already replaced the balls in the Z axis with larger balls...

I have been investigating where to get the parts I need, but have had little success. The best option I have found is a kit from cncconversionkit.com. has anyone has experience with this company?

Their kit also includes the electronics, so I will probably replace my old electronics too, as the new motors will probably need more power. I can buy only the mechanical parts from them, and get my own drivers, may even move up to Mach4 and suresteppers. any suggestions or help in thus area?

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions about how I could proceed with my upgrade, I would appreciate the help.

Thanks,
maury

can give you some pointer as to what my RF45 has, but all parts came from the UK.

Z axis 1290 oz stepper 22mm class 5 screw over sized balls in nut. has no backlash.
X-Y axis 960oz stepper 16mm calss 5 screw over sized balls in nut. getting about .03mm (.001") backlash think this is coming from the fixed end. i have never done anything about this as you get way more than that in head deflection.

all fixed ends are two pre' loaded angular contact bearings.

Latest posts

Back