Reusing scrap

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nikhil Bhale

Reaction score
Hi,
I work in offshore oil industry and am stuck on job due to covid 19.
This is my 5th month going on here for original 45 days of duty cycle.
Anyways I have some questions to ask.
We recently overhauled two Yanmar engines and three CAT engines here and now have a lot of old parts as scrap.
I was wondering if some parts can be reused in home workshop for model making.
I was thinking specially about the valve guides. They are C.I. with 18mm ID and 30mm OD 200mm long. Can they be used to make cylinders for engines?
Also can the intake and exhaust valves be turned into something? they are probably chrome vanadium steel and I think it will be difficult to machine.

Thanks
Nikhil

I also used to work in the offshore oil industry.
I liberated many pieces of scrap metal, mostly non ferrous, but also steel bits that would come in handy; anything that would fit in my bag.
Worn bronze valve stems, bumper sub spline bushings were always good. The best I ever got was a BOP wear bushing - I had to saw it down because it was too heavy to carry in home in in the helicopter in one go. Still got plenty left for more bearings!

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Nikhil, those CI valve guides would be perfect for making a cylinder sleeve for many model engines! Don't know what steel the valves are, but I would certainly take them home to try them out.

What part of India? I've only ever been to the south (Kerala), but enjoyed my visit there very much.

I'd check to see if the exhaust valves are sodium cooled, and not bother with them if so.

An 18mm diameter stick of good steel isn't to be sneezed at (assuming the OD of the valve matches the ID of the sleeve). I think I'd try annealing and then machining -- at worst you've taken something with no value and made it into something with no value, and learned something in the process.

Hi,
I work in offshore oil industry and am stuck on job due to covid 19.
This is my 5th month going on here for original 45 days of duty cycle.
Well that kinda sucks but at least you don't need to worry about the Wuhan Virus.
Anyways I have some questions to ask.
We recently overhauled two Yanmar engines and three CAT engines here and now have a lot of old parts as scrap.
I was wondering if some parts can be reused in home workshop for model making.
I was thinking specially about the valve guides. They are C.I. with 18mm ID and 30mm OD 200mm long. Can they be used to make cylinders for engines?
99.999% sure that you can find a use for them. If you don't you can trade them off to other model makers for different materials.
Also can the intake and exhaust valves be turned into something? they are probably chrome vanadium steel and I think it will be difficult to machine.
This is far more difficult to answer. Are you able to hard mill and turn? Are they annealable? Do you do metal art?
Thanks
Nikhil

The question about metal art is actually serious as I've seen engine valves use in art pieces. Any chunck of metal has potential, it is just a question of is it worth it. You may be able to anneal those valves in a home shop setting or not, it really depends upon what they are made of. I'm less interested in used engine parts though as you don't know how stressed the metal is and the dimenions likely are less than ideal. It comes down to is the size of metal metal suitable for your needs.

You may be able to anneal those valves in a home shop setting or not, it really depends upon what they are made of. I'm less interested in used engine parts though as you don't know how stressed the metal is and the dimenions likely are less than ideal. It comes down to is the size of metal metal suitable for your needs.

If someone gave me a bunch of used valves with 18mm stems I'd thank them, and start scheming on a home-built annealing furnace -- no matter how impractical!

If someone gave me a bunch of used valves with 18mm stems I'd thank them, and start scheming on a home-built annealing furnace -- no matter how impractical!
I know you can get a bunch of celery or a bunch of grapes, possibly a bunch of flowers. Never heard of used valves coming in bunches.

Latest posts

Back