retiring to machinist

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We can't qualify for a mortgage anymore so i've no idea how long we are stuck here renting.

Perhaps you should be consulting your landlord and your legal adviser-- about adding ANYTHING to the house which is the property of your landlord-- and NOT YOU.
I've owned a lot of property over the years and rented some and consequently would suggest that you tread--- very carefully.

At a guess, your agreement will expect you to bring your furniture, your personal possessions w and tools of your trade ----- which can be carried in one's hands.

Perhaps you should be consulting your landlord and your legal adviser-- about adding ANYTHING to the house which is the property of your landlord-- and NOT YOU.
I've owned a lot of property over the years and rented some and consequently would suggest that you tread--- very carefully.

At a guess, your agreement will expect you to bring your furniture, your personal possessions w and tools of your trade ----- which can be carried in one's hands.
The rules of who owns what in rented property are significantly different than than what you're suggesting in Canada, here if it's fastened to the structure it pretty much becomes part of the house, kitchen cupboards, carpets, etc., the mill and lathe wouldn't be considered as such at least they never were any time I've rented and I've been on both sides of that. The only part I'd be concerned about is changing any wiring to accommodate the machines, at a minimum, have a licensed electrician do it and preferably talk to the landlord first. Taking out a wall is pretty much off as well.

As with any Appliance, Ontario or elsewhere in Canada.
If the appliance is Plugged in to a receptical rather than hard wired it is considered not a permanent part of the structure. ie a stove a refrigerator, a freezer a washer. A dryer because of the Vent May be classified different in terms of the Vent connection. A Saw, a mill or Lather if they are plugged in as opposed to ones that are wired directly into the structure.
Some jurisdiction for example want the Garage door opener wired directly in as opposed to plugged in so the electrical opener stay with the structure.
While these may seem like trivial items it is wise to have your lawyer investigate prior to any install or build what constitutes a part of the structure and what is considered not a part of the structure and may be removed what has to stay with the structure. Something to consider.

So what happens when both tenants are uninsured and intestate and then die in a fire caused by their machinery- and the welding bottles explode?
Just an idle thought.

A Bit Gilbertian- perhaps

Here in Michigan I rented out industrial buildings. If electrical lines were installed I owned those lines and the disconnect switch etc but the machine itself could be removed even though it had to have the wires to the disconnect removed. If that were not the case any industrial machine which could not be plugged into a receptacle would become the property of the landlord. No one is going to move an industrial machine into your building if it meant that they lost ownership of the machine.

also selling a lathe they are....refurbished that used to have a vibration?? the busybee cx701 which is 12 x 28" for $3600 canadian plus taxes.
can anyone tell me reasonably how regrettable getting the only x28 long versus the x36" long for $5350. ?
We can't qualify for a mortgage anymore so i've no idea how long we are stuck here renting. might as well try and fit the smaller 12x28 into this small garage. and the knee mill is 6'4" on a pallet so does not fit into this low ceiling garage anyway. so maybe considering a smaller unit that's shorter.

My humble opinion is that for hobby type work the shorter length will likely never be an issue, unless you are trying to abuse your lathe and use it for wood turning.

I've been TIG welder shopping and am seriously considering the Canaweld TIG AC/DC pulse 201-D over the Everlast - at least it can claim made
in Canada and appears to be very well made but less known than the Everlast.

and with the way housing prices are going around here, I believe even without knowing you that the prices of houses would have been out of reach, a modest place in suburbia near me ended up going for $193,000 over asking in a bidding war - or $793000, another went for $953K or $203K over ! Its like we're in Toronto or New York! I'm tempted to sell at these prices but then my family will have nowhere to live!

My humble opinion is that for hobby type work the shorter length will likely never be an issue, unless you are trying to abuse your lathe and use it for wood turning.

I've been TIG welder shopping and am seriously considering the Canaweld TIG AC/DC pulse 201-D over the Everlast - at least it can claim made
in Canada and appears to be very well made but less known than the Everlast.

and with the way housing prices are going around here, I believe even without knowing you that the prices of houses would have been out of reach, a modest place in suburbia near me ended up going for $193,000 over asking in a bidding war - or $793000, another went for $953K or $203K over ! Its like we're in Toronto or New York! I'm tempted to sell at these prices but then my family will have nowhere to live!

Hmm ... I am sorry to rain on the parade, but I'd take a closer look at that link. It does not say "Made in Canada"; rather it says "Assembled and tested in Canada." Presumably this means all of the components are made elsewhere, i.e., Asia. The question is what "assembly" involves - are they putting together the various boards, hooking up the pneumatic lines, screwing it all together in the case? Or does "assembly" mean they gather together the welder, a torch, a foot pedal, and bundle that up together? Might be worth further inquiry!

Hmm ... I am sorry to rain on the parade, but I'd take a closer look at that link. It does not say "Made in Canada"; rather it says "Assembled and tested in Canada." Might be worth further inquiry!
The rules for 'made/assembled in Canada, means the parts must have gone through a 'substantial transformation' or 51% of the cost of assembly must have happened in Canada, none of them need to have been made in Canada and the 51% could be labour and then it depends on what you pay your employees or yourself to do the assembly.

Another writer from Keswick and for whom an Oxford UK University was named, wrote as follows:-

It is the Common Law of Business Balance that " There is hardly anything that someone cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper and the people who consider price alone are that person's lawful prey"

My family came from Back o' Skidda'

Norman

As I said, they claim made in Canada, so there is an expectation that its more than purchasing a ready to go product from overseas and putting it in a new cardboard box, which is what the Everlast and other inexpensive welders are (and they don't claim to be anything other than that). I also watched a review / unboxing of the Canaweld where the torch was found to be made in the EU (can't remember where), and I believe the regulator was from Taiwan. I'm not naïve and know that we live in a global supply chain, but I'm trying to spend my money closer to home, or at least spend it in democratic countries. That is my perogative - especially with the way a certain large asian communist country has been behaving lately. This post will get far to political soon so I'll shut up now and not respond further to political discussion and try to keep it to talking about lathes, mills and other home hobby related items that can be used to make model engines.

Another writer from Keswick and for whom an Oxford UK University was named, wrote as follows:-

It is the Common Law of Business Balance that " There is hardly anything that someone cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper and the people who consider price alone are that person's lawful prey"

My family came from Back o' Skidda'

Norman
Best fell of them all...

thank you for having me. I am retiring soon from being an RN. I tried the college machinist course last semester but 3 months in COVID ruined the program. I'm taking the pension package to buy a home and build a workshop. my very old father in law loves trains and mini engines. I'm researching equipment and play to buy a mill and lathe and make a lot of things. in ottawa canada here. ontario. I'm guessing anything less than the huge mills cannot mill steel? Do you see a good purpose of having both a big and small mill and lathe? I can easily buy both. they sell new small combo mill/lathes for around $3500 canadian. Do you guys confirm it would be worth my money to get both? thanks again for any advice and further questions.
Standard common size lathes and mills can make very small parts. Small ones cannot make large parts. I have a Bridgeport Mill and Jet 13X40 lathe, no issues whatsoever making very small parts. There is no need at all to have both large and small machines if you have the space and ability to purchase and install the larger ones.
I have a thread of work here: Another Stuart Twin Launch build started.

Last edited:
If you have 220vac with a 50amp breaker single phase. 5 bills will get you a used machine that will last generations and then some. The Lincoln Ideal Arc 250/300 is the machine I learned my trade on. It's big, bulky and heavy but unlike the inverters it is a one time purchase and the most reliable power source out there.
Because it's a constant current power source you can stick and touch tig with it and if needed you can purchase a high/freq unit.
I've welded carbon, chrome, stainless pipe using this machine with tig and stick and passed xray ndt with no problem.
I've also used inverters, they are great machines but subject to expensive repairs if not complete replacement depending on the cost to fix one.
With the Ideal Arc there are no sensitive electronics, just a big transformer and rectifier bank with cooling fan. Lasts forever.

Attachments

• 20200326_152916.jpg
    20200326_152916.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 199
If you have 220vac with a 50amp breaker single phase. 5 bills will get you a used machine that will last generations and then some. The Lincoln Ideal Arc 250/300 is the machine I learned my trade on. It's big, bulky and heavy but unlike the inverters it is a one time purchase and the most reliable power source out there.
Because it's a constant current power source you can stick and touch tig with it and if needed you can purchase a high/freq unit.
I've welded carbon, chrome, stainless pipe using this machine with tig and stick and passed xray ndt with no problem.
I've also used inverters, they are great machines but subject to expensive repairs if not complete replacement depending on the cost to fix one.
With the Ideal Arc there are no sensitive electronics, just a big transformer and rectifier bank with cooling fan. Lasts forever.
Yup, I've got one I bought in 1980. Not a problem with it.

thanks for the feedback everyone.
I've got the welding figured out. I bought the Everlast MTS 275 mig tiG stick.
for the renting comment: our landlord lets us do anything. that's why we chose this house. I literally finished the entire basement and my son's boss is an electrical apprentice.
I built an adapter for the welder: took off an old oven cord and bought from Canadian tire a 20 dollar 3 prong female. so to make a 220 volt 3 prong to 4 prong. and built a long extension cord 8/3 wire and another 12/3 bx. that steel covered wire...to plug into the wall where oven went in the basement and the 12/3 wire into the 15 amp breaker receptacle to run to the garage...so now as long as I keep the welding under 200amps....because 8/3 wire and a 40 amp breaker only and the 12/3 wire powers lights etc. when we move from here I just unplug it and take it with me.
this used to be a fancy dream to retire to a machinist. now its a stark bitter reality.
200,000 cash and can't get a ,mortgage. so now will be making money welding, machining, and home renovations and at age 49 starting a carpenter apprentice. for $60 bought a masters business licence. expenses will decrease personal income substantially, to offset the pension payout and help the new business start up.
hired start up Canada also to help us acquire new entrepreneur grants etc.
need to buy a truck.
Necessity forces one to learn a lot and quick.
I'm still clueless if its safe to buy anything less than a knee mill and or if its safe to buy a lathe less than 12x36 and settle for something like 12x24 or 12x28. I have zero idea.

thanks for the feedback everyone.
I've got the welding figured out. I bought the Everlast MTS 275 mig tiG stick.
for the renting comment: our landlord lets us do anything. that's why we chose this house. I literally finished the entire basement and my son's boss is an electrical apprentice.
I built an adapter for the welder: took off an old oven cord and bought from Canadian tire a 20 dollar 3 prong female. so to make a 220 volt 3 prong to 4 prong. and built a long extension cord 8/3 wire and another 12/3 bx. that steel covered wire...to plug into the wall where oven went in the basement and the 12/3 wire into the 15 amp breaker receptacle to run to the garage...so now as long as I keep the welding under 200amps....because 8/3 wire and a 40 amp breaker only and the 12/3 wire powers lights etc. when we move from here I just unplug it and take it with me.
this used to be a fancy dream to retire to a machinist. now its a stark bitter reality.
200,000 cash and can't get a ,mortgage. so now will be making money welding, machining, and home renovations and at age 49 starting a carpenter apprentice. for $60 bought a masters business licence. expenses will decrease personal income substantially, to offset the pension payout and help the new business start up.
hired start up Canada also to help us acquire new entrepreneur grants etc.
need to buy a truck.
Necessity forces one to learn a lot and quick.
I'm still clueless if its safe to buy anything less than a knee mill and or if its safe to buy a lathe less than 12x36 and settle for something like 12x24 or 12x28. I have zero idea.
I you are doing this for money, then you needs to consider the size of the spindle hole. That might be your over-all best consideration. Second, and not far behind is the swing and length. My bet is yhou shold not get anything less than 36, 40 would be better. Not many people actually do much work that is larger than 6" but that is just an average. Biggest thing I ever cut was about 7" cut down to diam 6". But people bring in a lot of odd stuff to be machined and you have to be able to do it or lose out on a job.

As I said, they claim made in Canada ...
I really have no dog in this fight, except that I absolutely affirm and support your commitment to direct your money to local / Canadian business. That is precisely why I am having trouble letting this go: In the ad that you linked, it clearly says Assembled in Canada, not Made in Canada - a very important distinction.

That said, it sounds like you have done some homework to find out more about where the parts are coming from, so I will hush up and let you carry on!

Back