Request to all members

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevehuckss396

Model Engineer
Project of the Month Winner
HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I'll try to get to the point as quick as possible. I use PhotoBucket to link all my pictures to the model engine sites. I keep hitting my free bandwidth limit every month. With your help I might be able to avoid the problem.

When viewing a thread, when a page is loaded, all the pictures get downloaded from photobucket and displayed on that page. The downloaded photos count against my max limit. When we view a thread to get up to date on the latest progress of our favorite projects a preset number of replies are displayed. I personally have mine set to 40 replies per page. So to view the 3 or 4 newest posts I load the text and photos of the last 40 eating up the bandwith of the person posting the update and pictures. When the max limit is hit, all the pictures dissappear until the month is over and then reappear again after the month is up. I'm not sure if it will work but if you would like to help, set the number of replies per page down to 20 or less. This will help by not loading old replies with photos that you have already seen. I am in the process of visiting all my forums and lowering mine to 10 replies per page.

To do this go to the top of the page and click

My Account
Control panel

Then on the left click

Edit options

Scroll down to "Number of posts to show per page" and set it to 20, 10 would be better.

Thanks to anybody who decides to do this. Going through a thread to find all the pictures are annoying boxes sure stinks and I think this might help to avoid this from happening.

Hello!

I'll try to get to the point as quick as possible. I use PhotoBucket to link all my pictures to the model engine sites. I keep hitting my free bandwidth limit every month. With your help I might be able to avoid the problem.

When viewing a thread, when a page is loaded, all the pictures get downloaded from photobucket and displayed on that page. The downloaded photos count against my max limit. When we view a thread to get up to date on the latest progress of our favorite projects a preset number of replies are displayed. I personally have mine set to 40 replies per page. So to view the 3 or 4 newest posts I load the text and photos of the last 40 eating up the bandwith of the person posting the update and pictures. When the max limit is hit, all the pictures dissappear until the month is over and then reappear again after the month is up. I'm not sure if it will work but if you would like to help, set the number of replies per page down to 20 or less. This will help by not loading old replies with photos that you have already seen. I am in the process of visiting all my forums and lowering mine to 10 replies per page.

To do this go to the top of the page and click

My Account
Control panel

Then on the left click

Edit options

Scroll down to "Number of posts to show per page" and set it to 20, 10 would be better.

Thanks to anybody who decides to do this. Going through a thread to find all the pictures are annoying boxes sure stinks and I think this might help to avoid this from happening.

Or you could pay the $2.99 a month for Photobucket Plus and get the extra bandwidth needed for all and sundry to view as per normal.

Or you could pay the $2.99 a month for Photobucket Plus and get the extra bandwidth needed for all and sundry to view as per normal.

They want $29.99 per year for the plus package. I'm not going to spend that every year. I'll more than likely just delete old pictures but I would rather not do that. I'm shure people look thru old threads and would like to keep the pics intact.

or just simply reduce the size of your photos
you can reduce them in physical size without reducing the visible size

this taken from the PB help pages

Free users have limited bandwidth for their accounts, and that limit is set to 10GBs of bandwidth per month.

Bandwidth consumption is counted by the amount of data that is transferred from your account to other sites across the web. The size of the image or video will increase the amount of bandwidth you are using when linking them out to other sites.

Examples of bandwidth usage:

-Lets say you have 100 photos that are 1MB in size each, and you are linking every single one of them out to your blog/website. 100 images at 1MB in size means that you are linking out just under 100MBs in data size for all those images. Those photos would need to be viewed 100 times a piece to reach the 10GB bandwidth limit for a free Photobucket account.

-If you only linked out 10 photos that are 1MB in size, those 10 photo would need to be viewed over 10,000 times before you would reach the 10GB bandwidth cap.

-If you had 10 videos on your blog/website that were 100MBs in size, that would equal out to just under 1GB in file size. If those videos were viewed 100 times total, you would reach the 10GB bandwidth cap.

I have been able to use the Additional Options (below when you select reply to thread) and select Manage attachments to load pictures from my pictures folder from my computer.

DSC00714.jpg

It does suck when they want to zing you for the extra bandwidth. Not that I have done anything that will reach your popularity, but I have found spreading the images out amongst several of the other free hosting sites does forestall the bandwidth problem for awhile.
The way I see it, is if I gotta pay to put my content out on the web, Ill buy a domain and website hosting and at least get paid a little back for my troubles. It seems to make more sense then paying them to make money off of me.
(Rushes off to park and register hucksmodelengines.org) :cool:

I have been able to use the Additional Options (below when you select reply to thread) and select Manage attachments to load pictures from my pictures folder from my computer.

I could do that but I post to 4 or 5 forums. Some of them limit the amount of pictures you can post unless you pay them so it's a wash. Linking photos is easier when posting to multiple sites. I can write the post with the links and paste it to as many sites as I need. No bothering with managing attachments.

Does it count against your download number when a member re-posts your photos in his response, by quoting your whole post and adding a comment? Sometimes I see someone post a half a dozen pictures in a post, and then someone responds by re-posting the whole post with a comment like "Nice work!

i followed your request and set my view to 5 posts per page, AND I changed the order to 'newest first', so the old photos in the thread I have already viewed do not have to load, and only the newest postings will appear on the first page.

On a side note. If you have microsoft office installed, you will have a program called Microsoft Office Picture Manager, This program can adjust the pictures to give you the size you want, but change the amount of data needed. This allows you to have a 600 x 800 size or larger image, but the picture will only use 50-100 Kilobytes of memory.

Does it count against your download number when a member re-posts your photos in his response, by quoting your whole post and adding a comment? Sometimes I see someone post a half a dozen pictures in a post, and then someone responds by re-posting the whole post with a comment like "Nice work!

I believe it counts.

Sometimes I see someone post a half a dozen pictures in a post, and then someone responds by re-posting the whole post with a comment like "Nice work!

Pardon my language, but it really really pisses me off when people do that!

i followed your request and set my view to 5 posts per page, AND I changed the order to 'newest first', so the old photos in the thread I have already viewed do not have to load, and only the newest postings will appear on the first page.

On a side note. If you have microsoft office installed, you will have a program called Microsoft Office Picture Manager, This program can adjust the pictures to give you the size you want, but change the amount of data needed. This allows you to have a 600 x 800 size or larger image, but the picture will only use 50-100 Kilobytes of memory.

Thanks man! I don't have MS Office. I do resize all the pix I plan to upload. I shrink them to 50% but I think I'm going to go to 33% of the original size.

forum default is 10
so setting to 10 makes no difference at all if you haven't changed the setting previously

and Yes, you can resize your photos in bulk if you have the right software
but what that software is for you, im afraid i dont know
that is your choice

PS

quoting a whole/complete picture heavy post simply to reply with a meaningless 2 or 3 word sentence is banned or deeply frowned upon on many forums
often leading to warnings and bans
and resulting in moderators editing posts as need be to remove these ridiculous bandwidth wasters

Back