Refinishing a Kennedy Tool Box

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chucketn

Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Has anyone refinished the interior of a Kennedy metal tool box?
By refinish, I mean removing tattered and shredded felt and replaced it? What is the best way to remove the old felt? Have a source of felt?
I want to refurbish my late Dad’s Kennedy and store my tapping tools in it.
Chuck

Local fabric store will have a selection of weights and colors. Tell them what you wan it for, and they can help select something. Glue in using rubber cement.

What about felt insoles and Trilby hats?

My tool boxes got cork tiles- courtesy of Armstrong Cork! For dedicated spaces, melt foamed polystyrene.

Enough?

Norman

I would just go for it. Razor scraper in hand goo gone on standby . Once all the felt and glue is gone clean with simple green and water to remove residue then a final wipe with Isopropyl alcohol . Felt and spray glue should be easy to find likely at the local wal mart. or as suggested fabric store for felt auto parts store hardware or big box for spray glue.
and we want pictures of the project.
Tin

Reactions: gus
I felted my tool box and also the bases of the the timber chess pieces i made
I went to a supplier of pool tables and got lots of offcuts free/very cheap

Reactions: gus
I have a ww 2 vintage union chest . rather than removing the old felt i just layed new felt on top. Makes it look nicer but not effecting original.
Tin

Got the drawers cleaned out and bottom drawer scraped free of tattered felt. Now to check WallyWorld for new matching felt and adhesive spray.
http://s571.photobucket.com/user/chucketn/library/Dads%20Kennedy%20Tool%20Box
Have also made inquiries online about getting replacement keys. No responses there yet.
I cleaned up the latch enough to see the Kennedy logo and find the key # on it.
My key # is 413, with no letters, in case there is a locksmith on here.

Chuck

do have a a key blank ? you can hand cut a key to your tumbler.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0DVpOZvtjg[/ame]
Tin

I know how to do that, Tin. I took a course in locksmithing some 25 years ago. Learned how to hand file skeleton keys for antique locks using swiss files and lamp black or soot from a candle flame. I have inquiries in to Kennedy and the link you provided to see if I can get either keys made or at least blanks to cut my own.
Have also looked up a couple of local locksmiths to visit Monday, as none are open on the weekends except for emergencies(read expensive). This is not an emergency as the box came to me unlocked. We just can't find Dad's key. I probably have it somewhere safe...

Chuck

I finally got a reply from Kennedy. They identified the box and lock as being early 60's vintage. The lock was made by Excelsior, long out of business, and they had no blank or replacement keys. Armed with the lock maker and key #, I searched E-Bay on the off chance someone had one. I found a single key and made an offer that was accepted. The key arrived yesterday, and I'm tickled that it works in the lock!
Now I have a working key, and 2 other keys that fit the lock that I can carefully file to fit. Happy, Happy, Happy!
I purchased a couple yards of green felt and a can of 3M spray adhesive. Time to dress up Dad's tool box!

Chuck

Latest posts

Back