Recent tool purchases

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave G

Reaction score
I have recently purchased some tools that I think the forum may like. I received a phone call back in the fall from one of my former co-workers wife. Her husband is in the advanced stages of Alzhiemers and is in a nursing home now. She asked me if I would help her liquidate his tools. He is one of the most prolific toolmakers I have ever known and his tools were of exceptional quality. He was also a marathon runner and could finish in under 2hrs 30mins. in his late thirties and into his forties.

Everytime he would finish well in a marathon he would make himself a tool to celebrate the fact. He always ran well and made lots of tools. His wife had a sale last fall and I purchased a great deal of the tools that he had made. I helped his wife at the sale, I didn't want to see her get beat up on her prices. I told everyone there that this is the only opportunity for her to make money on her husbands tools and they had the rest of their life to recoup their purchase. Happily I can say very little haggling was done that day. Just the way I feel about it and I hope when I'm gone my wife will be treated the same way.

I will start with an adjustable angle plate. This is the first tool that went in my shopping cart. I can foresee many uses for this tool. It has an array of tapped holes on one side and t-slots on the other.

102_1029.jpg

Here we have an angle plate. The holes are laid out to give 5 degree increments from 0 to 90. The angle plate is roughly 4" x 6" x 7".
He was also a High School girls cross country and track coach. His girls won the Ohio state championship in cross country 4 years in a row and he is the only coach in our state to have 4 consecuitive championships. This angle plate was made after the fourth championship and is marked with pride with his accomplishment.

102_1030.jpg

Next is a pair of work holers for the mill. One has holes ground in .500, .625, .750, .875, and 1.0" for clamping round parts in the vise jaws quickly and securely. The other is for round parts that are an abnormal size. We used to do alot of precision grinding where I worked and these were hardened and then ground. The holes in the first one were jig ground and are quite precise.

102_1031.jpg

A matching pair of v-blocks/ setup blocks.

102_1034.jpg

A rotary v-block for OD or ID grinding. Not something I will get alot of use out of but I figured if I didn't buy it I would soon need it and not have it so it now lays in my toolbox.

102_1036.jpg

Another adjustable angle plate. I made a major investment in tools that day and don't regret it one bit. I have used almost everything I bought that day so far and am deeply grateful for the opportunity to own this mans tools. Everytime I use them it reminds me of the days when he and I worked together. This was not meant to be a tool gloat and I have posted these pics as an honor to the man that made them. The true craftsmen are leaving us at an alarming rate and I just wanted to share this mans work. He inspired me and I hope his craftsmenship inspires you too. Thank you Larry for being an inspiration to me and for all the help. Dave

102_1037.jpg

Thank you for sharing these. I LOVE these sorts of one-off tools. It's good to know that they are in good hands.

Years ago, my father and I would haunt flea markets, and anything remotely resembling tooling of this sort was instantly purchased, often for small sums, because the person didn't really know what it was.

Beautiful craftsmanship I love how he labeled them.

Dave

They all look well thought out and very well made Dave. Its good they have found a good home where they will be used from time to time.

Bill

Thank you Dave.

This is a wonderful post in memory of a great craftsman.
Beautiful tooling.

Kind regards,

Ron.

Thanks for posting those pictures of beautifully-made tools with us Dave. That sort of craftmanship is true art, a fine tribute to the exceptional talent of your friend. Very inspirational stuff.

Very nice tools, I particularly like the 4 6 7 angle plate.

Latest posts

Back