Recent project #2

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hitandmissman

Reaction score
Just to make sure I remember how to post a pic. I will show my not so good and off topic woodworking. Please don't laugh.
steamtractor004.jpg

hitandmissman,

I can't speak for the others but that is the most excellent "Off Topic" post I have seen in a long while.

Excellent man!!! How much time is wrapped up in that? Are there plans? Is that one for sale? If not, might I be nosey enough to ask what you have tied up in that project?

Well Done, Take Care,

Ken

That Is great!!! You did a really nice job there.

The set of plans(4 full pages worth) were bought from www.Cherrytreetoys.com
It is made from mostly oak, with a little walnut, plus pine. As for time, lets just say it took a while(couple months, on and off). Nice thing about wood, if you mess up just put in the wood burner LOL.

That looks real nice. I can't work with wood at all.

Kenny

As you can see neither can I work well with wood. Every thing except the dowels in the wheels was cut from solid 3/4 or 1/2 inch boards. Engine is about 18 in. long and 10 high. Each rivet is a dowel cut off and rounded than a hole drilled for it. Good thing I am retired with lots of time. Now if I could only make one from all metal....If it is made from wood guess I could make one from metal. I'll have to work on that....

H&M,
Beautiful bit of work.

I too like to have something totally different from metal bashing, just to take the strain off when it gets a bit 'heavy'. Mine is model boats.

John

Very nice work indeed H&M!

My own home "machining" began with a tiny Dremel wood lathe about
25 yeas ago.

I have found that very dry hard wood dowels can be turned
to fairly close tolerances on a metal lathe with very sharp tools.

I am still tinkering with a running all wood steam engine design.
Perhaps after the Holidays I will have time to get back to that.

Rick

if any one laughs at that they have never built anything, holy crap thats allot of work in that. my dad has been a cabinet maker for 40 years and has built alot of stuff but never a steam engine.
i will try to post some pics of the dragon and dinasor (sp) that he built a few years ago. i think they are about 6 feet tall and 12 feet long.
i never know what dad will be working on when i go to visit!!! :eek:

take care guys

Bog,

How about Posting some pix of your boats. Are they wooden? I have always wanted to build a 3 Masted Schooner. Cutty Sark comes to mind.

Ken

If you look thru the pics of my shop here

http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/index.php?topic=137.0

you will see the type of boat models I build.

They are fully operational, stuffed with electronic bits to bring them to life when sailing.
Unfortunately they have been ignored as of late due to me not being able to carry them to the lakeside and launch them.

John

Bog,

Yes, I see the trawler/fishing/tug boat type deal in the background.

Radio Controlled? Steam engine? Electric motor?

Ken

The fishing boat is in fact a model of a German shrimping boat, the part built one on the bench is again a German vessel, but a inland waterways fireboat, both are electric powered. I do have a steam boat that is stripped for restoration, and at the bottom is a very bad pic of it on the water.

victoria.png

hitandmissman, that is a great looking example of craftsmanship. Myself, I am what is called a wood butcher! LOL...

Bog,

I see the other one now.

The hull and bridge look as if you could convert it into a PT Boat. Anyway that's what first popped into my head when I found it.

No pic came thru with a boat in the water.

hitandmiss; Do you have anymore examples of your craft?

Take Care, Ken

hitandmissman,

WoW Yet another fine example of craftsmanship! Again Bravo and Well Done!

Now all we need to do is nudge you into metal! ;)

Any more? Drop one in here every couple of days! Keeps me from getting bored!

Excellent! Take Care, Ken

Latest posts

Back