Reading material magazine type stuff

Discussion in 'HMEM Forum Support & Suggestions' started by karlaceclaydon, Aug 30, 2018.

Help Support HMEM by donating:

1. Aug 30, 2018 #1

karlaceclaydon

karlaceclaydon

karlaceclaydon

I'm just wondering what magazines people read to do with our hobby
    I find that a lot of times that the magazine is more advertising than article and I can understand why but just as a hobbyist starting to get into small engineering projects it would be nice to have some reading material that doesn't cost an arm and a leg and has some complete projects and not ones that go on for ever
    Much appreciated in anticiiiipaaation for your comments thoughts wheeze ideas

Ps I do enjoy this site so much as I does not matter what level people are they always are helped and not derided for the lack of knowledge

raspii likes this.
  2. Aug 30, 2018 #2

bazmak

bazmak

bazmak

BAZMAK HMEM Supporter

sometimes I find the ads as interesting as projects.Gives you an idea of matls and tooling
    both costs and availability. A lot of tooling can be homemade at a fraction of bought cost
    Just my 2p. Regards barry

karlaceclaydon likes this.
  3. Aug 30, 2018 #3

JC54

JC54

JC54

Full Time Carer
    I find the same problem with articles in most relevant magazines, a project may take months and if you have just started in this hobby when you see PART 18 at the start of an article you think "have I got to buy" 17 previous magazines to catch up? I have just taken a subscription on a very well known UK magazine with it's own website/forum and tried to order back issues and each time met with delays/and stupid excuses.
    I find this forum and the freely available knowledge that people willingly give is far superior to any magazine. You sometimes still have to wait for "articles/updates" on projects but at least they are in real time.;)

4. Aug 31, 2018 #4

Cogsy

Cogsy

Cogsy

Well-Known Member Staff Member Global Moderator

I've never subscribed to a magazine but I have ordered a couple of electronic back issues of Model Engine Builder specifically for projects and found them excellent. For example, Randall Cox's famous Hoglet is spread across only 2 editions (numbers 10 & 11) for both build article and drawings. I don't mind buying 2 issues for a full project, especially one as cool as the Hoglet. You also get a whole heap of other content and there's a heap of interesting reading.