Re: TB5 proposal

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
UNIcastings said:
I have a low-end 3D printer. I will not mention the manufacturer, since I am very unhappy with the unit, and have had enless trouble with both the hardware an software.

<snip>

So in summary, I do not recommend a low-end 3D printer. If you really want a pattern, and cannot make it from balsa or other type woods, consider sending the part out to be printed on a high-end machine. If you forget or ignore the shrinkage, draft angle and machining tolerances, then your printer part will not be usable.

I do quite a lot of development work on your low-end 3D printers. I have them built to out-perform some of those $30K ones. The point being, it can be done, and without too much effort if you're careful and pick the right design to start with. But that's a side-note.

If you're interested, PM me and I'd be more than willing to help you make your printer perform better.

Jeremy-

Thanks for the input, I will try and get time to look at modifying the 3D printer.
It needs it.

I had problems with my silver solder failing on the outer bearing support when I went to mill the top round, and also when I tried to press the bearings.

Did not have this problem on the first engine, but am having issues on the others, so this weekend I removed the silver solder, ground a "V" on the bottom edge of the outer bearing support, and then carefully stick welded the outer bearing support in place.

Luckily, this method seems to work, although it takes a little grinding.

So yep, I made some progress over the weekend on TB5, and will forge ahead now that I have a good method for attaching the outer bearing support.

TB5 will happen, just a slow learning process for me, with lots of plowing frozen ground. I keep breaking the plow.

I will try and get a photo up tomorrow.

Pat,
If you'd like to, you can send 1 (mine) or all of the frames to me for TIG welding. It's fast and easy to clean up.
I can take a shot at boring them too. Let me know how I can help.

Mike

Mike-

I would love to have a good TIG machine, but I don't think I can justify it for as often as I would use it.

Thanks, I will consider your offer.

Pat J

Back