Re-make of my first engine : part 2

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Divided He ad

Reaction score
Well another slightly productive evening in my little shop of..... creativity! ;D

I spent at least an hour just figuring out my con' rod and crank lengths...( 7.0mm between crank centres and 53.5mm for the con' rod!) this one had better work! ::)

I posted some new pics in the 'bucket' so feel free to nose :D

Ralph.

http://s289.photobucket.com/albums/ll221/dividedhead/TREADLE ENGINE MK II/

(New photo's headed in lower case... sorry for all that shouting!!)

Looking good Ralph,

I really do admire your curves (on the engine that is).

John

Bit close to the wire there john!!! :big:

Thanks, will see what the think box dreams up for the rest?! ;D

Well I have realised that I should try to keep everything in the one post (took some time to figure out!! ;D )
So that said just a little update on this evenings work... Crank shaft, not very big but took a little time to create! (nearly 3 hrs!) Said I was concentrating on this one!
I being the slow ass genius I am (self proclaimed!! ;D) just figured out how to stick a photo or two here.... little large but hey, it's a start!!

DSC01337.jpg

DSC01341.jpg

DSC01344.jpg

If you want to see some of the other photo's then here is the link to them :
http://s289.photobucket.com/albums/ll221/dividedhead/TREADLE ENGINE MK II/

It had better work after all this!

Ralph. ::)

Ralph,

I really like the style of your engine. :bow: good job.

Eric

Ralph,
I explained how to do it in my little bit on posting.
The piccy size is perfect, and the engine bits are as well.

John

Thank you both, and sorry I didn't absorb it all john...I will re-visit and read over :) must have been because I was so anxious to post anything!!
Speaking of posts... still very interested in your turbine... love to see how things develope ;D

Eric, I don't seem to be able to see any of your work in progress.... not too busy with web control and a few drawings are u? :)
Would be nice to see some of your work too ;D

Ralph.

What a great series of pix ! :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Never occurred to me as a somewhat noob to use a rotating base on the tool post to get those great curves !!

Love your blinging up the finger engine !!

Mike

Much appreciated Mike ;D

If you look in the tips n tricks section there is a link to the 'Steve Bedair' 9x20 lathe site I found the plans on... there is some other cool stuff there too.

Thanks, Ralph.

Hi, just got a running mock up (80-85%complete) so thought I would share... made a little 'tube' vid (load of stills and a little running movie... very little!) and will paste the url at the bottom.

A small disclaimer first... I managed to get a few things finalised this evening but totally buggered up my flywheel... not the styling as such just managed to hit the grub screw drilling's on the 'good' side!!! dumb I know, but you do this sort of thing in the experimental stages (no plans u see!!) Anyway basically keep in mind the flywheel will be renewed.

Your reactions good or otherwise happily read :)

Ralph.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taOLcVMitL4[/ame]

Very nice looking engine! I like this one the best as far as the treadle engines go:eek:) I am going to have to build one of those, so I'll have one to play with:eek:) Again, Great job!

Wes

Thank you both ;D

Once it all works I'll post the pivot point measurements and then all the styling is down to the individual!

I think I am making this a lot more complex than it should be! But it certainly is a learning curve!! ::)

I think it is time to get it finished, I'll try for next week....

Ralph.

Luv' it Ralph! I like that you are creating art/machinery with esthetics as the most important part of your vision.

Having said that, we gotta do something with the flywheel! ;D No offense intended but it just doesn't match the stunning work you've done on the rest of the engine. If I may, let me suggest something. I've had this idea for quite a while but it looks like recent changes in my work life are going to cut into my shop time and prevent me from trying this anytime soon.

I made a flywheel for my little finger engine from individual components, ie: separate hub, 8 spokes and an outer rim. The indexed holes were drilled/reamed in a spin indexer.

FingerFlywheelSmall.jpg

Now imagine that same method taken a little further. The hub could be indexed and drilled and while still part of a longer piece of stock, then chucked in the lathe and turned round with a ball-turner. The rim blank could be indexed and drilled, then chucked in the lathe and rounded on the inner and outer edges to make it round as well, ie: a torus. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torus

Once assembled and installed, the rounded flywheel look would really complement all the beautiful curves you've built into your engine, no? :)

Cheers,
Milton

Hi Milton, I know exactly what you mean... it is my current ability level that limit's me! :(
Also I have still to purchase a chuck mount for my rotary table... spent a lot on machinery in the last year and I still haven't built my house! So you see I have current restrictions on the indexing! Not to mention I need to locate some larger material for the flywheel anyway ( I think it needs to be a little larger!)

I love your thoughts though... I did make the flywheel convex and intented to round the outer edge, but as I said earlier my machining went wrong and screwed the whole thing up anyway!

I will keep your idea's in mind :) ....You gotta have shop time Milton ... stress relief is all important!! Hopefully you will find some time and be able to try one for yourself? :)

So happy that others are taking an interest in my design ;D

Ralph.

P.S. Have you got any pics of your finger engine? Would be nice to see ;D

Can you show a video on how to use the ball turner to make a ball?
John T.

Divided He ad said:
P.S. Have you got any pics of your finger engine? Would be nice to see ;D
Thanks for asking Ralph, here's a link to a previous post about my engine/generator. http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/index.php?topic=877.0

I'm glad you didn't take offense to my flywheel suggestion.:) That's what I like about this group. It's a friendly, good spirited bunch of fellers.

Milton

J. Tranter said:
Can you show a video on how to use the ball turner to make a ball?
John T.

Ralph... I second this. Any chance on doing a video? would love to see it in action.

Eric

Yes to both John and Eric, I took a break from the engine this afternoon so I can sort that kind of thing out, just finished the build on a camera holder to mount to my lathe or mill.
Designed in my head this afternoon for the very reason you ask... demo's for to be placed on the 'tube' ;D
Just got to make a perspex shield and I'll throw a few balls out (mmm! maybe need to re-phrase that?!) and post them in with the post I started in tips 'n' tricks.

What do you think? ;D

DSC01404.jpg

Ralph.

P.S. more photo's etc in the lathe mods section ;D

Right! Here we go again ;D

After a full workshop revamp I finally got started on my treadle engine again :D

First up is the new fly wheel. Not finished yet but this is a section for work in progress !

After much thought into a new, unseen to me design I came up with the concept of a laminate flywheel.

DSC01529.jpg

3 sheets of steel and 2 of brass. Soldered together and machined as one... took a little more planning than just that but it seems to have worked!

DSC01527.jpg

DSC01531.jpg

DSC01537.jpg

DSC01539.jpg

DSC01541.jpg

What do you think to this one Milton?

Ralph.

P.S. Eric you were right about the workshop.... What a mess it's in now!! :big:

Latest posts

Back