Re: First Engine No Plans.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gbritnell

Project of the Month Winner!!!
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
I guess this is the thread to introduce oneself. My educational career started out as an art school student in Cleveland in the early 60's but that was interrupted by the Vietnam issue. While in the service I got bumped around and ended up in a fabrication/machine shop where all types of experimental projects were built. Upon leaving the Army I eventually ended up as an apprentice at the Ford Motor Co. pattern department in Cleveland, Ohio. In the early 70's I purchased a 6" Sears/Atlas lathe and an Enco mill/drill. My first major project was Cole's 1" Case traction engine. Since then my modeling projects have included a number of Stuart engines, one Reeves engine, several Briesch engines and quite a few scratch built items. I have attended the NAMES shows for many years and met many extremely talented people along the way.
gbritnell

Got it running. This is what it looks like. I don't have sound on the movie, sorry but I don't know how to do the sound. Changed the crank stroke to 1/4" and made a beefer rod. Changed the column shafts to .1945 and put bushings in both crank and cylinder pivit. Raised the air ports and cylinder bore for the stroker rod/ piston. Put on dual fly wheels.

100_2956.jpg

Edited for pictures.....

I emailed grizzly about which of their RT's would work best on my little Grizzly mini mill and Would You Believe they recommended I buy one of Little Machine Shops units, So I Did! They had a 4” # 2183 with table, tailstock, dividing plate, and a 3 “ chuck mounting plate, and clamps for $218 delivered. It should be here first part of the week. Been going to do this for year or so, now it's done. :D
Mel

I have had success just using a dremel rotary tool,and a cut off disk. Takes a little practice to eyeball it on center, but for small screws, it works really well. Good luck!!!

I've been toying with the Idea of making some aluminum castings to turn and have found some great sites to look at. One thing that scares me is the thought something going wrong and burning the heck out of something or me! Read the all the warnings! Here are a few sites that explain the process and how to make you own unit. Be careful!
Mel
http://www.seattlerobotics.org/encoder/200008/GEAR_article.html
http://www.dansworkshop.com/Aluminum Foundry.shtml
http://www.backyardmetalcasting.com/guest_martin.html
http://www.backyardmetalcasting.com/
http://www.backyardmetalcasting.com/links.html

Hi guys,
I received an email from Rick last night so I thought I'd introduce myself to the group.
My name is Nestor, but most call me Ren (among other things). I too was one of those "I wonder what makes this do this" kind of kids. After high-school, I tried enlisting and was classified 4F for the military so I went to work for E. Lietz Inc. as a camera technician/repairman. Got heavily into professional photography, and went back into camera repairs for a long, long time. Became disabled 9 years ago and am a single dad of two great children. I homeschool them both and with the help of different organizations, I am in the process of opening up my own manufacturing business. I design and make split cane, Bamboo fly rods and reels. I presently own a small lathe and in September should be getting a Smithy CZ-239 Lathe and a LX-329 Mill, plus tooling. Right now I'm being kept pretty busy writing my business and production plan for the business, but I have decided to start my engine building with Bill Reichart's PIP-SQUEAK engine. I've seen some of the work you guys do and am in awe of most of you if not all. I hope that someday I too will be producing work like you gentlemen. There you have it. Thanks for a great site Rick.

Hi All,

I do not want to Hi-Jack this thread so if Mr Moderator feels this should be a subject on its own, please feel free to"make it so."

The common "thread" {No Pun Intended} running thru this is NOISY!!!

I have one like Rake's but of even lesser quality. :oops:

I have tried a number of things to quiet the thing down, nothing has worked, 1 or 2 melted, 1 actually made it louder! Mufflers, air cleaners, boxes/enclosures? I came across 2 hydro-statically tested tanks at the Surplus store, at least that sort of slows down the cycles, depending on what you are using, ie Paint Gun vs Impact Hammer or Drill. On these high CFM eaters it negates any improvement, it runs 1/3 less but stays on 1/3 longer when it cycles.

So what can be done to kill the noise but not choke the compressor? :evil:

Mine bothers the neighbors, but we have talked and since I work Graveyard shift, I'm up at night, so when I'm trying to sleep they are mowing the lawn, etc. We just called it a draw. :roll:

Take Care, Ken

I will be at both shows, Kinzers and Leesport. I pretty much attend Kinzers over all 4 days...I love that place! I'll be sure to look you up.

Phil
Lancaster, PA

I owned my Grizzly G4000 for almost a year before doing any modifications to it. It took me almost all that time to learn its capabilities and where it was deficient. I replaced the bushings in the clutch pulley with my own made with bronze. Then I made the 4 bolt compound clamp using J Early's instructions. Although he gave measurements for a HF model that was at least 5 years old, my measurements were virtually the same. That has made a huge difference in what this lathe can do and I wish I had done it earlier. Now I'm gaining the confidence to really tackle any future issues that may come up. I'm sure two of the bearings in the gear train are starting to go so that will be my next project. The more I work on this lathe, the more I like it.

One of the machinery vendors advertisements says something like "now is a good time to get into metalworking" and that's true enough. Given the availability of machinery and tools, new and used, through internet sources and bricks and mortar stores it is a great time to be in this hobby. Add to that forums like this where you can get ideas about why you get a taper in a cylinder bore and how to avoid it....why wouldn't you build engines (or other stuff made out of metal). :D

Last weekend I displayed some engines at a local event ,kind of country with lots of farm tractors and old iron (5@ 10 HPhit and miss) running in an open park like setting.

A little girl ,4or5, wearing a sunbonnet and barely tall enough to see over my table stood there with a ear to ear smile in front of my Silver E :wink: agle hit and miss engine.

Her father coulden't drag her away so he picked her up and told her that when my little engines grew up they would look like the big ones sitting in the area near me.

That made everything worthwhile if I never build another one!

raym

Just a little about myself, short and sweet. Was a Millwright for 31 yrs, mill shut down than drove big rigs for a couple years. Fell off a ladder in 05 and am on disability now and retired. Got a smithy AT300 that I bought in 97 and a micro lux mini mill. Try to make things but mostly make chips and scrap. As far as machinist I am self taught but learning. Will post a picture of what I have made but so far after seeing what you guys and gals make you would laugh me out of town, ha ha. Love the site and am learning a lot from what you experts post. Keep it up please. My name is Jim Ashmore but I go by hit and miss man. Used to collect antique engines which I had to sell after my fall, hense the nichname.

For a moment I thought you'd snuck into my workshop and taken a photo of my scrap pieces that accumulated in getting my engine together. But then I looked closer and said, Nope, my scrap isn't separated so neatly! Congratulations on the runner! :lol:

Well, I got the little 4" rotary table yesterday and as soon as I started playing with it I realized I would need a small 3inch 4 jaw chuck to go with it. Does it ever end? :shock: I choose the 4 jaw so I could hold square stock in it. I'm getting pretty good with the 4 jaw on my lathe. The chuck should be here tomorrow. What will I need next? I think my wife is about to put her foot down and cut off my allowance for the shop. :cry:
Mel

I’ll guarantee you Chuck, you did not waste anyone’s space or time. Thanks for sharing you method of making spark plugs. I can’t wait to try it.
Thanks again :)
Mel

I have plans for Elmer's Grasshopper engine. They show a base plate of 2 1/4" x 5 3/4". Is your engine that size? I'd like to build one but of somewhat larger scale (maybe 2x) :shock: Yours looks great, nice work!

John I think the type your talking about are called "Row Crop" tractors some had the narrow front tires and some even had only one single front tire. They were called a "Tricycle" front end. They were made so special cultivating equipment could be attached to the front of the tractor. I'm not even sure the narrow or tricycle front ends are still available.
When I was a young boy, my dad raised potatoes in Idaho and the narrow front end style tractor was the only type we ever had.
Mel

Rolla, Thanks for the help on the table!
The degree symble is done by holding down the Alt key while typing the number 248 and you get °

look at WWW.lookuptables.com
Thanks again
Mel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back