Re: crooked core in cyl casting

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did read you post Terry but it seems Woffler did not hence me quoting a line from his post.

A while ago I heard someone else complain about the younger generation, the kids these days, so I looked for the earliest reference I could find, "Our Earth is degenerate in these later days; there are signs that the world is speedily coming to an end; bribery and corruption are common; children no longer obey their parents; every man wants to write a book and the end of the world is evidently approaching." from a Assyrian tablet, 28th century BCE - Smithsonianmag.com, Ten Notable Apocalypses That (Obviously) Didn’t Happen. As pointed out, after that complaint, the Assyrian Empire lasted another 1800 years.
Maybe it's not all the younger generation, just from where you're looking at it, I know some really great, super intelligent and smart younger generation people. The thing I've suggested to many of the complainers is that our generation taught them to be the way they are so I tend not to complain too much.
The snow was whiter when I was a kid (last week).

Thanks to everyone who commented on my "young generation" drivel. Sometimes I go off on a tangent without thinking. You have brought me back down to earth when I tend to get on my soapbox. We do have a tendency to focus on the negative. Yes, there are many talented and smart "young" people out there today. Thanks.
Grasshopper

When you set up a casting you always set up to what’s going to be left over .... not the areas you are machining, castings can never be considered to be perfect. A few simple lay out lines will prove if there is enough material to clean up

Ok, but explain to me why that bugs you. The reason I do it, is so I can see it.
Grasshopper

Because it's the text equivalent of shouting, or at least talking really loud. If we're in some comfortable quiet space, you wouldn't want me making ordinary conversation in a shout; it's the same for bold.

If you need help seeing, there's ways to customize the font on your web browser. You're kind of at the mercy of the web developer to have made it possible, but search on "style sheets" and "vision impaired".

Because it's the text equivalent of shouting, or at least talking really loud. If we're in some comfortable quiet space, you wouldn't want me making ordinary conversation in a shout; it's the same for bold.

Hi Tim,

It's usually writing in all capitals that is considered as shouting when writing text such as FAKE NOOS - see here:

https://www.lifewire.com/why-not-to-write-in-all-caps-1173242
but I can see your point,

Stay safe and healthy

TerryD

Thanks to everyone who commented on my "young generation" drivel. Sometimes I go off on a tangent without thinking. You have brought me back down to earth when I tend to get on my soapbox. We do have a tendency to focus on the negative. Yes, there are many talented and smart "young" people out there today. Thanks.
Grasshopper
Hi Grasshopper,

If you have difficulty reading or writing in normal size text on a PC screen you can increase the size of the browser by using the 'CTRL - scroll' combination, i.e. hold down the Ctrl key (lower left on most keyboards) then use the mouse wheel to scroll in and out of the text. Alson firefox there is a + and - to the right of the web address at the top of the browser - you can also use that to increase text size, I use it with online newspapers, some of which have small print.

Stay safe and healthy,

TerryD

Woffler,

I had the same issue on my cylinder when built this engine. I just ignored the existing hole, which was obviously offset, but small enough not to impact the finish bore being correctly centered. I mounted the cylinder in the 4 jaw chuck and indicated off the outside and bored as usual. You have probably seen this, a great help:

Good luck, this is a really fun build.

I think this whole issue is due to some people on Youtube ( not Joe) using a method they have seen someone else use to centre up the cylinder in the 4-jaw without understanding that it will only work with a totally true core which is a very rare thing to find.

Use the traditional method of plugging the end or take average readings off the edge with a dti when setting it up in the 4'jaw both of which will leave the hole in the ctr of the unmachined external surface

Hi,

An issue that has not been mentioned is the fact that the external appearance of the bore would almost certainly not match the internal dimensions.

I am currently working on a cylinder casting and took the picture attached:

Dimension in the middle of bore used as a reference - dial reading 100:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Dimension of bore mouth - reading 40 (60 thou, 1.5mm smaller):

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Hi everyone ,I came up with a solution to the problem of the cylinder bore being off center ,I am boring them
out to 1.25 or .25 Over ,they would not be usable other wise, in the measurements on the surface plate i came up short and they would also not match up with the valve rod center either as the two are refenced as being on the same center line.
I ordered two bronze leaded bushings from Mc Master with a 1inch bore same as the piston and .25 wall this should get me in the kitchen eating chicken.

I attached a picture that shows one bore started was messed up now true and a little to go yet and the other one that has not been started yet ,

Attachments

• Cly bore.jpg
    Cly bore.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 241
Looks like you are on the right track. Will you still be able to get the steam feed holes to line up at the ends of the cylinder and to the vents in the steam box? I had an issue with my cylinder (purely cosmetic) and I used some JB Weld and all is good.

Latest posts

Back