RC (Radio Contro) information.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wheat47

HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope this is an OK place to post this.
I am gathering the materials/plans/information to build a RC controled crane/dragline.
I'm Ok with the structural parts, but I have zero/zilch information/knowledge regrading RC things.
The plans call for motors for boom lift and load lift. I would like to add a swing motor and traction motors.
I talked to a local hobby shop, but he wasn't interested in helping me out. All he wanted to do was sell me an RC car.
There is another local hobby shop I have yet to contact.
The crane I'm basing it on can be found here: For Sale Modelling (john-tom.com)
SO, I'm looking for some books or magazines or web sites for novice/newbe RC people like me.
Or if someone knows of some other crane plans that would be OK too.
Any help will be grreatly appreciated.
Jon K

I just checked Servo City out. Looks like the place I need to use.
Prices seem fairly reasonable, too.
Looks like I'm gonna have to brush up on my math to figure ratios, speeds and such!!!
Thanks for the tip!!
Jon

You will need a transmitter, receiver, (6 channel or more) and some ESC boards. (Electronic Speed Controller.)
These just plug into the receiver and when you operate a control on the transmitter they will power a motor. The more you move the control the faster the motor will run.
If you then operate the control in the opposite direction, the motor will reverse.
It would be best to use a worm drive for lifting and jib control. They will be self locking when the motor stops.

Radiolink has good radio for under $50.00.
The G9 servos are cost you get a set 5 servos for under $15.00.
Still need batteries but that under $30.00 with low cost battery charge.
This found at Amazon.

Dave

You will need a transmitter, receiver, (6 channel or more) and some ESC boards. (Electronic Speed Controller.)
These just plug into the receiver and when you operate a control on the transmitter they will power a motor. The more you move the control the faster the motor will run.
If you then operate the control in the opposite direction, the motor will reverse.
It would be best to use a worm drive for lifting and jib control. They will be self locking when the motor stops.

A FlySky i6 radio can be bought for around the AU$65.00 mark with a 6 channel FSiA6B receiver.

Link............... FlySky FS-i6 2.4G 6CH AFHDS RC Radion Transmitter With FS-iA6B Receiver for RC FPV Drone

They are a simple to use and program radio with heaps of rc community support and access to modifications.

You will find as you go that even 6 channel may not be sufficient, but these radios have provision to be expanded to 10 and sometimes more, channels (easily)
As mentioned earlier, basic output is normally either standard servo which moves 60 degrees in either direction from centre or 120 from one end to the other.

Electronic speed controls are available but normally used to control speed in either brush or brushless type motors as drive units...i.e. prop on an aircraft or via a gearbox on a car.

It is possible with a little study or help from an electronics nutter friend, to be able to use the signals from your newly aquired receiver and feed into any number of Arduino (or other microcontroller) boards.
From there the possibilities are endless.

Motor gearbox units are also available in the form of continuous rotation servos where the servo (obviously) rotates completely and has it's speed varied by the r/c Tx.
Other than that, many sensors, actuators etc. can be used off the shelf or modified to work with Arduino in many forms.
I prefer to use the Arduino promini due to it's small size but there are others which work equally as well.

There may also come a time when you may want to add realistic sound to your project.
The web site below is a good link full of open source gear.
The theory may be too complex for you to understand but the actual builds and programming are not that difficult with a great collection of detail.

Link................

Last edited:
Thanks, everyone. for your great replies!!
I've learned a lot just from your replies.
I figured I would need as many as six motors:
1 for boom lift,
1 for load lift
1 for dragline bucket pull (or second load lift for clamshell, if I go that far.)
1 for swing/rotate
2 for travel, one on each track. (Might be interesting to wire the travel motors
through the swivel assembly from the body/engine house.
Might have to come up with a rotation limiting device.)
Might have to increase the size of the engine house to get all that stuff inside!!
I checked out that Servo City site. They seem to have a nice large variety
of motors, motor mounts, and accessories. They seem to be reasonably priced, also.
I spent some time today looking for light sheet metal (maybe brass) for the engine house.
Still lots of figuring to go before I cut any metal!!!

Of the channels available on the Flysky i6, you will find 6 will have variable pots to enable proportional movement.
3 two position switches which will allow full travel one way or the other.
Finally 1 * 3 position switch which will allow as previous with a neutral or centre position as well.

Back